View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 09:10 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Your favourite place in your country?

My favourite places:

in Singapore -
1. The FOOD. ANY Singaporean will direct you to their favourite place or favourite stall. Just ask. Go to the out of the way hawker centers: avoid tourist traps like Newton. Hop into a taxi and ask "uncle" to take you to his favourite place for supper, or breakfast, or lunch. Enjoy! You will not get sick, but you might get a chilli overdose!
2. The Night Safari. I have taken countless friends & visitors there, and every single time something different happens: from the mama & baby Tapir following our (slow-moving) tram, to watching a (very big and intimidating) tiger clean itself right in front of the glass enclosure; I have always had a great time.
3. Pulau Ubin. This is where to go to get off the beaten track and see a totally different side of Singapore.

in Mexico
1. Isla Holbox is so off the beaten track even Mexicans don't know about it. I was so relaxed and happy there I ended up taking about 10 photos. All I did was swim, lie in a hammock reading or sleeping and eat lots of seafood.
2. el Bazar Sabado. No trip to Mexico City is complete without a trip here. Really. Even if you don't buy anything, it has some of the most well-crafted pottery, silver, etc. in Mexico, and the prices are very competitive. Trust me. We buy almost all our souvenirs here. Where? Plaza San Jacinto, San Angel. When? Saturdays only.
3. Gaia restuarant is where I had one of the best meals in my life. The service is impeccable, the food excellent, the location charming, and all at a very reasonable price. Located in Cuernavaca, about 1.5 hours from Mexico by bus.

Of course, some of the best ways to find out about special places is to ask the locals. =) So all you locals, what are you waiting for?