Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-05-2005, 02:37 AM
TE Newbie

Default Framing photos.

Hello friends... I have been playing lots with PS 7 and PS cs, can any one guide me in the right direction with regards on how to frame photos?

I have seen many photographs that have been submitted by many of you, and I am impressed how beatiful these look. I am here to learn, and hopefully the framing will be my next step in the manipulation of my photos.

I thank you in advanced for your time and patience.
DAM
Old 02-05-2005, 07:27 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Framing photos.

You use the canvas size command (in the image menu).
Increasing the canvas size creates space around the photo which is automatically filled in with the selected background colour. To make frames of several colours, use this command any number of times, selecting different background colours between each.
Hope this helps.. questions like this should be posted in tips-techniques section.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:33 PM
TE Expert

1. Open a suitable image in PS
2. Select the whole image, >Select>All
3. Ensure the foreground color is set to black. The color you choose here will be the color of your frame.
4. Draw a line that follows the selection, use, >Edit>Stroke, when Stroke dialoque box comes out, indicate how wide you like your frame. The unit shall be in pixels (like 10 or 30 pixels wide). Select center or inside for the stroke location.
5. The completed image will have a black border that hugs the edge of the picture. The thickness of the frame can be altered by changing the stroke width in stroke dialoque box.
6. Borders of different colors can be created by selecting different foreground colors.

Good luck and happy framing.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:24 PM
TE Newbie

Thank you for your very detailed information. I will sure give it a try. Much appreciated my friend.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:09 AM
TE Senior Member

I do it the same way as bboss. I just want to add one thing. You tick the box "Relative" and then you give the number of pixels you want to increase the canveas with your frame. An important thing to remember at that moment is to use even number as increase as the number of pixels will be distributed on two edges. If you choose an odd number the fame will be asymmetrical and if it is a thin line it looks akward. Took me about half a year to figure out.

Ebbe
Old 02-06-2005, 03:30 AM
TE Newbie

David, thank you for your kind advise and I apologyze if I am breaching the rules here. I was not aware of the tips-techniques box. I will direct my concerns to such place in the future. In regards to your recomendation, I have tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:24 AM
TE Newbie

For the benefit of those who, like me, use Paintshop Pro, - it's even easier to add borders in this program.

> Make sure you have selected the right background color.
> under Images there is an option "Add borders"
> Normally you just select the baorder width and leave "symmetric" checked. PSP will add a border in your background color
For multi colored boarders, you can repeat this with aother background colour.

Note: As far as I know, newer versions of the program allow you to pick a colour whil adding the frame, making this even easier.

You'll notice that, under image, there's another iten letting you select a much more elaborate picture frame.
Personally, I find those too elaborate anddistracting, but maybe someone else has a picture that perfectly fits the "beveled gold" or "navy metallic" frame?

By the way, I'm usually not using frames here as I also use the same images on my website, where the frames are generated by the style sheet (not taking up any space, loading faster...) and would be duplicated on images framed in a program.
A point you might want to consider before adding a frame.

If decide that you need two versions, it's better to generate a framed and frameless image directly, without closing your picture in between, as you lose detail whenever you resave a jpg-file.

Laurenz