Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-11-2005, 06:43 AM
TE Junior Member

Default most popular structure to photograph on TE ?

Hi everyone. I like to trek through the photos here country by country sometimes, just to appreciate all the lovely places that you all live in and travel to. I've come across certain man made structures on TE quite frequently. The ones I list here are not from a calculated or complete list, but those that I am sure that I've seen at least 6 or 8 times (some a whole lot more than that!)

This is not to put anyone down, in any way. Each photograph is unique, and reflects the individual photographer.

I just think it would be interesting to know just which is the most photographed of all. Is there anyone with the time to find out? :o)

Now, this is out of my head, so please forgive any oversight or misspelling:

In Canada, the Chateau Frontenac
In France, the Eiffel Tower, and Mont St. Michel
In the US, the Jefferson Memorial, and Chicago's silver Bean
In Iceland, that antler boat thingy in Reykjavik
In Spain, Gaudi's Unfinished Sagrada Familia
In the UK, the big wheel and Big Ben
In Scotland, Eilean Donan Castle
In Italy, the tower of Pisa
In Malaysia, the Petronas Towers
In India, the Taj Mahal
In China, the Great Wall

I know I am missing quite a few, but these are out of my head.

Anyone else?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:14 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: most popular structure to photograph on TE ?

The Golden Gate bridge? Machu Picchu? The Pyramids?

Laurenz
Old 02-11-2005, 08:46 AM
TE Junior Member

An interesting question, Michelle! Certainly in Australia we'd have to go with the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
TE Newbie

Interesting list there Michelle! I'm not surprised that Eilean Donan Castle features for Scotland as it has to be THE most photographed castle in Scotland, if not the whole of the UK (shame its a fake, but it is a nice fake!) - it appears on the front of many books and calanders about Scotland as well as on the packaging for many Scottish products and, to be totally honest, I am getting sick of seeing it!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:55 PM
TE Junior Member

You've picked up on one of the thoughts that I had while thinking of this idea, Bruce, and that is the question of "can a thing be photographed too much?" I think that each person views a place (or person) from their own perspective, and to them their own photgraph is unique. It's sometimes hard for the rest of us to look through so many photos of the same structure (or landscape even somtimes) like the Eiffel Tower or the Chateau Frontenac, unless you notice that everyone has their own way of looking at capturing it. But I can certainly understand your own added frustration at having Eilean Donan being a fake, representing Scotland. :o)

(I still think that it would be nice if there were some way to just type in, for example, "golden gate bridge" and see all the various views, without getting every reference to "golden," "gate" and "bridge", resulting in 100's of photos which aren't what one might be looking for.)
Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 PM
TE Newbie

I've just got the email tellin me there was a response to this and when I click on TE in my favourites I am taken straight to Scotland pictures and... there, the latest post, was... Eilean Donan Castle - "...most romantic castle in Scotland..."!!!

Yea maybe all the pictures do look different (light, shadow, conditions, etc) but it would be nice to see something different - and I think this point has come up in another forum - people tend to post what they think other people want to see, not what they want to post! Maybe that's wrong, but it sometimes seems that way (and not just on TE!)
Old 02-25-2005, 10:50 PM
TE Junior Member

I hope you don't take offense, but I have the sneaking suspicion that people ARE posting what they want, without thinking of what people want to see - that's why we get so many "same thing, different photographer". Well, maybe sometimes, anyway.

Just try to enjoy the other photos. I've always liked the Scotland photos here on TE, and other places as well (including yours). Looks like a... ahem... "most romantic" place to visit. :oD

Michelle
Old 02-25-2005, 11:01 PM
TE Newbie

No offence taken Michelle!

Scotland is (apparently) a romantic place... but does has its VERY obvious tourist traps! Anyone want to buy a fake castle?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:17 PM
TE Junior Member

:oD Laughing out loud. We already have one or two here in Florida. Thanks anyway. ;o)

See you around TE...
Old 02-26-2005, 02:09 AM
TE Junior Member

The current Eilean Donan Castle was largely rebult and restored from the ruins about 80 years ago. There has been a castle there for 500+ years and the site has probably been used for over 1000 years.

What castles in Scotland would you consider to be real? I'm hoping to be able to visit Scotland again this year or next.