Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2018-12-13 11:23

Hi Jorge,
I remember my visit to this church simply because it was unforgettable experience.
One of the richest interiors I have seen in my life. May be the richest.
Quite expensive entry though.
I remember being surprised because the exterior is elegant but relatively modest.
Nice angle to present it although the light was probably like on a typical English day.
Great reportage,
M

Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: westminster

I hate be in a place where photos are prohibited. there was so many places to visit in london and I didn't visit this church.
it is difficult for me to say what was the interior of church more amazing I saw in my life, the two richest churches of brazil and portugal of course would be in the list with their tons of gold inside. cartuxa of granada is special, italian churches.... so many ...despite the beauty of architecture the cathedrals I visited in UK were much more simple and with poor adornments if compared with catholic churches I knew. I presume poland is an amazing treasure in terms of churches..

take care

jorge
Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 PM
TE Expert

Yes you are right it is hard to tell. Italy is probably the most interesting in this respect with St Peter Basilica truly spectacular but there are so many more there...
Yes one cannot visit everything. it would be nice to live in places like this for some time to be able to enjoy some less know areas.
From that perspective I was very lucky in my life since I lived for couple of years in laces like Krakow, Munich or Los Angeles, but also smaller but still interesting like Dublin or Lubeck and few others. It was a chance to see lots more around.
M
Old 12-14-2018, 08:20 PM
TE Expert

Hi Jorge and Mariusz.
Westminster Abbey is the Gothic church and fortunately, I would not call it "rich". The Gothic cathedrals are more beautiful when they have no later additions. Rich are first of all baroque Jesuits churches, and especially in Jesuit churches of South America, like in Ecuador or Mexico. Full of gold and silver, with not even centimeter free. Look e.g. here (from Palermo)
http://beta.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1563537.htm
Interesting site:
https://strikingplaces.com/tours/wes...-virtual-tour/

WArm regrads MAlgo