Digital photo size? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-08-2004, 10:21 PM
TE Newbie

Default Digital photo size?

On my digital I can change the size of my photos being taken. I know that a larger photo has got some advantages but when your memory card gets full on holiday, will there be any difference in quality if you set it on the smaller size?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Digital photo size?

The higher resolution allows you to have larger prints. But if you do not print large sizes, the extra resolution does not matter. I have done 4x6" from 1200x800 and they looks just fine. They are too small to really nitpicking about pixels. If you plan to print 24x26" then you will need all the resolution you need.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:32 AM
TE Newbie

Let´s put it that way: the bigger is not always the better.
I have for example made picture with my 8MP camera (Sony DSC-F828) to print posters but for my "everyday photos", I used the 3MP format. This is really good enough for normal prints and use on the internet and you don´t fill your card so quickly. The quality doesn´t suffer from the change of size.

I can also say that I am also very happy with some of the pictures that I took with another 2MP camera and that at the end of the day, the size and amount of MP is not critical. It also depends on the quality of your objective.

Last thing: size is also important if you do lots of post-processing with your pictures. I find it better to work with photoshop on a high resolution picture and resize it aftewards than the other way round.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:48 AM
TE Newbie

Does this mean you use another camera, or that you change the resolution in your camera? I am asking becasue I also own an 8mp camera and have a few times when I have known that I won't have enough flash memory for 8mp images have shot in 4mp mode. I found it quite useful, and of course, more than enough for quality prints.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:00 AM
TE Newbie

Well, the 8MP/3MP is the same camera. What I usually do is:
- 8MP for my "artwork" and pictures that I will process with PS amd print on Posters
- 5MP for my everyday pictures and to process later with PS or print on A4 format
- 3MP for my "holiday" pictures for prints on 10x15cm

But again, with another 2MP point and shoot camera, I had very good results for prints on 10x15cm.

Today, I have a new 10D (so 6MP) and I must say that the image quality is WAY better (depending on lens of course) than even my 8MP camera.

At the end of the day, you just have to find the best compromise between size/image quality :-) Play with resolution and quality if your camera allows it (for instance: 8MP/Fine or standard or economy compared to 5MP/Fine or standard or economy).