Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: maybe IB sold them?

You also grant us global nonexclusive adaptation and resale rights over any content and material submitted to the Site.

resale rights? ... sounds pretty clear to me

let's post our worst tries then, just to check what the market is looking for these days ;o)
Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
TE Senior Member

I think reselling our photos is a violation of copyright law. According to copyright law the photo belong to the photographer not the site.

Airliners.net site tried to to the same about doing what ever with the photos of the photographers. There was a conflict between the photographers and the site. The site changed back to the previous term of use and the photographers are the sole owners of their photos or copyright.

Pierre
Old 02-13-2009, 04:23 PM
TE Senior Member

How do I find the term of service link from the TE site.

When I join TE three years ago, term of use was not there and when you read the term of service it is not mentionned about term of use.

Pierre
Old 02-13-2009, 04:45 PM
TE Expert

Salut Pierre,

you can find the link at the bottom of each page...
Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 PM
TE Expert

The "resale" quote really worries me. Like most people here, I'm not a professional and I don't mind too much when people occasionally 'steal' a shots or two, but this is something else. And I would mind. Or am I just naïeve?

I think this calls for some clarification. Hello, IB?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Organized photo stealing from TE!

Is it possible under US law fist to put a copyright for photos and in some small print somewhere else to say that the copyright isn't true.

The copyright here in the botton says :

All materials contained on this site are protected by the copyright laws of the United States of America and recognized nations and states. No portion of these original works shall be reproduced or transmitted in any way without prior, written permission from TrekEarth.

Photographs from the TrekEarth Gallery section are also protected under United States and international copyright laws and may not be reproduced or transmitted in any way without prior, written permission from the respective photographer.

The terms of use are now not reachable for some reason or another...

If this is as suspected that TE has selled the images those who have taken the stolen photographs have a strong case for compensation.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Absolutely illegal

IF, and I do mean IF, TE is selling the images from this site, they are in absolute violation of copyright. I, in no way, have given TE or IB, or whatever they are calling themselves, any permission to sell images. If you have not either, then they aren't allowed to sell yours either.

I would like to hear from an owner (not an administrator) on whether or not they have sold any images uploaded to TE. And, if they have, whether or not they had permission to do so. If the site owners are going to start selling member images, I for one will close my account and remove my images.

~V~
Old 02-14-2009, 12:45 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Absolutely illegal

The terms of use are clearly not acceptable and I call on IB to modify them NOW. I, for one, will remove all my images, regardless of whether or not IB have excercised the licence granted to them under the Terms or not. IB this calls for a response.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Banned

I have found this response from Moderator Justine (JuCo), on a TL forum :

http://www.treklens.com/read.php?f=1&t=737300&m=887936&tt=flat

"Well, of course everyone is welcome to remove their photos as they like. But I have responded to individual users on the site this morning and I'll share that here:
That is a standard template we use across all of Internet Brands' sites, so it isn't anything that was crafted with the Trek sites specifically in mind. We link to this page from all our sites.
But I see where it looks a little unsettling to you. I went and talked to the Legal Department about it.
The first part "global nonexclusive adaptation" rights simply means that we have the right to be showing your photos/posts on the site. It's the essential agreement between you and IB that IB has the right to display what you submit. So without that piece, the Trek sites can't really exist!
The second part "resale rights" is, again, just a standard part of the legal terms. But I recognize that this is probably the part that would make Trek members uncomfortable. I've spoken to Legal and they have agreed to remove "resale rights" from the Terms. Now, unfortunately, because this is the standard template, it'll require a little work to change the terms and link to the new page. At the moment, we're in the middle of upgrades across the network and so the queue is long. So bear with us as we take some time to make the change.
I hope that puts everyone's minds at ease."

and

" (excerpt)
As to your other questions:
- we would never pass photos to another internet company, after all, that would go against IB's interest.
- IB has always contacted photographers and writers for written permission to use their material in the rare instance IB wanted to (in newsletters, for example)"

It's a pity that it takes so long to get some answer on TE. So far for communication.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 AM
TE Expert

It shows the level of care they have for their TE/TL-members, without they are nothing.
Is there really a need for a lawsuit to remind them the importance of the members-support for their site !
Sure it confirms a clumsy administration with advice of cheap lawyers, compared to rewards their investment in the site is as much as nada, zero, nothing ... time that members become aware where they stand in their policy.