Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-02-2004, 08:32 PM

Default Dank je wel Edwin...

Hoi Edwin!

Just great, thanks a lot!

The first site is very beautiful, a very artistical concept, I hope I'll be able to shoot a couple of pictures as lovely as on this site.
And, as a real French woman oughts, I'm now already dreaming to try "ungstrull and glödhoppa" and have "saffron pancakes with dewberry jam and cream"as dessert... :o) For loosing calories afterwards I think the area will also be perfect for biking!
Second site gives a good idea of the history and cultural value.

Anyway, our itinerary plans are not quite ready yet...
We are leaving May 26th and having first night by family in Fiesland, north of the Netherlands, and we are hoping to reach the Oresund bridge May 27th... Spending maybe a couple of days in Skåne before driving east towards Öland and having later a meeting with our two friends around June 3rd in the neighbourhood of Stockolm, a girl from Zwolle marying a Swedish guy from Eskilstuna! Internet love! :o)
Then almost 4 weeks to go to, trying to spend 2 in Norway. I simply love the Jotunheimen, road 51 and the Peer Gynt Way, and the high fjells of Haukeligrend, Telemark. Even more stunning than all the fjords!

We probably will come back via the west coast, camping at Glaskogen Natural Reserve, Varmland, and later in Stocken, Orust, and then we must be crossing the bridge back ;o((( at least on July 1st. Maybe we will cross eachother somewhere... :o)

Vriendelijke groetjes - Viviane
Old 03-29-2004, 02:15 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Travelling Scandinavia this Summer...

Cher Viviane,

First of all, I'm sorry that I haven't fulfilled my promise to you about tips for your trip to Sweden this Summer. My memory is very good, but it's short! Anyhow here is my contribution.

Scania is very much like Holland/Denmark if you look to the western part. Relatively crowded and densely built-up. The eastern part (called Österlen) is very nice with a lot of fishing villages/harbours, but with a strong segment of summer and popular
Old 03-29-2004, 05:05 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Travelling Scandinavia (part one)...

Cher Viviane,

Sorry, I hit the wrong button in my search for information - that's why the preceding is only partly a message!

And then, I'm sorry that I haven't fulfilled my promise to you (March 1st) about tips for your trip to Sweden this Summer. My memory is very good, but it's short! Anyhow here is my contribution:

Scania is very much like Holland/Denmark if you look to the western part. Relatively crowded and densely built-up. The eastern part (called Österlen), east of Ystad, is very nice with a lot of fishing villages/harbours, but with a strong segment of summer visitors. And the sea is normally rather cold in June.

Next province is Blekinge, also known as the Garden of Sweden (that didn't sound too bad in English!), which is very beautiful. A nice archipelago and, more inland, oak woods. The ice-age (or rather the withdrawel) had a great inpact here, so when you travel from west to east it's uphill-downhill-uphill-downhill aso. The archipelago reaches it's peak at Karlskrona, a city built as a naval base in 1680 on several islands and surrounded by many more. This is where the Sovjet submarine W-137 hit land in 1981.

Futher north is the province Småland - the border at Brömsebro was the country border between Sweden and Denmark until 1658 - and the mayor city on the eastcoast is Kalmar, my old hometown. This is a very beautiful summer city, with lots to see and visit, especially the Castle and the County Museum (Länsmuseum) and there is a very nice camping site at Stensö. The museum contains multiple object from the man-of-war "Kronan" which was sunk in the Baltic Sea outside Öland in 1676 by the joint Dutch-Danish Navy.

End of part one (of two) - continued...
Old 03-29-2004, 05:17 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Travelling Scandinavia (part two)...

...continued - part two (of two)

East of Kalmar is the island of Öland, a province in itself. It's reached by a 6km long bridge (when built the longest in Europe) and is a very special place. Most spectacular is the southern part, with the Great Alvar with a thin layer of soil on limestone grounds, creating a special kind of flowering (I believe June is the peak period) and an almost Provencalian light. Northern Öland holds the only city Borgholm with an old ruined castle, used for open-air-concerts, and the Swedish Royal Summer Residence "Solliden". The are a lot of restaurants (watch out, special prices!) and a lot of summer visitors - and it should especially be avoided around the Midsummer Holidays (June 25-27) because of the youth invation (I've been there!).
Seven reasons to visit Öland are found here, together with a map.

Inland from Kalmar, in the woodlands, lays what is known as the "Kingdom of Crystal" (Glasriket), a widespread centre of 14 glassworks - among the more known are Orrefors, Kosta and Boda. Here you are able to take part in the glass blowing process, buy glass at discount prices and even have a unique meal called "Hyttsill" (hot-shop herring), which is very special and highly recommended! All information about this here.

Going north from Kalmar, or north-east from Glasriket, you once more approach an archipelago, with it's centre in Västervik, a small but charming summer town.

The archipelago continues north as you leave Småland for the province Östergötland and now I'm outside my territory. I know that the city of Linköping has a lovely "old town" and Norrköping is a former working-class city with many beautiful views. But I leave you here!

I hope some of the information I've provided will be of use, and if needed, don't hesitate to contact me for any further help. And, of course, I wish you a nice trip with many photo opportunities! Glaskogen is known as moose country!

Amicalement - Kaj

PS1. Some of the sites have links in French.
PS2. I had to cut the message in two parts as I exeeded 3000 characters (puh!)...
Old 03-29-2004, 11:49 PM

Default Such a nice geste Kaj...

Bonjour Kaj,

Wow! Thank you so much for your wonderful tips, it's very sweet of you, you made so much work of it! It's also very well written and comprehensible, also the links you gave are amazing. I can't wait to go and discover that part of Sweden.

We knew Skåne a little bit already because we were camping just before going back home in July 2002, we stayed near the east entry of Söderåsen National Park. And we had a lovely day visiting Kulla Peninsula too.
But we don't know yet Blekingen, Småland and the south east coast. We certainly will follow your advices about Öland, the clickable map you gave let us see beautiful sights... It must become a nice photo-vacation for us now!

Again thank you for your excellent work.

Amicalement - Viviane