corrupt San-Disk card: any suggestions? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
TE Expert

Default corrupt San-Disk card: any suggestions?

Maybe someone has a suggestion for an effective recovery method for a corrupt (or so the PC says) San-Disk card? The photos can be seen on the camera. No problem there. They also can be seen (no thumbnails though) on the PC looking directly into the camera card directory, but not downloading; however, the PC would not allow full download of the card. Individual download of the jpeg files is possible (one-by-one), but not the RAW files and those are the ones we are concerned about.

Many thanks in advance.
Kristaps
Old 10-14-2008, 04:41 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: corrupt San-Disk card: any suggestions?

Hi Kristaps,
This happened to me once and I was able to recover all my photos (except one which was corrupted) using a software called PhotoRescue. At that time, I was only shooting JPEG, but looking at their web site it seems that they also support RAW formats. You can download a trial version here: http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
Hope this helps.
Brigitte
Old 10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
TE Expert

thank you, brigitte
we will definitely check it out.

regards,
kristaps
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
TE Senior Member

Bibi made a good suggestion, i have that program on my laptop and although i never had problems myself with cards, other travellers who lost material i could help with always 100% succes.

Sandisk gives 10 years or lifetime warrenty on their cards, depending on which one you have. If the card really died you should contact your local dealer...

Take care,

Henk
Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 PM
TE Senior Member

I had that problem too. I tried photo rec (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download).
It's a free software and I've recovered 90% of the files in the card. I don't remember if I had raw files in it, but they claim to recover them too. Try both (nothing to loose). Regards. Paulo
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 AM
TE Newbie

Another very basic method of recovering a "corrupt" memory card. If you are using a Microsoft OS try using the "Error-Checking" tool built into Windows. You already have this on your PC and most of those photo recovery tools you can by are doing the same thing. I've recovered 3 different cards from 3 different people. 2 had corrupt cards from the camera getting damaged while on (one got wet the other dropped). The 3rd was a card pulled from a camera that was on. In all cases I recovered all the files except the last one very quickly.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 AM
TE Junior Member

Hey Smey
I'v tried recently Cardrecovery and it works very well! It cost not too much!
Amicalement
Old 12-18-2008, 08:55 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: corrupt San-Disk card: any suggestions? yes I do ..

Hello ,I had a similar probleme once , I was trying to douwnload pictures on a computer , it douwnload only the jpeg files and not the raw files .
I was using the connection wire between the camera and the computer because the friend I was with did not had a card reader.
Did not understand why ,but later at home I used my card reader and everthing work perfectly ,
Hope this helped , greetings Luc
Old 06-05-2009, 08:04 PM
TE Newbie

It is a good idea to use the card until it is completely full. Do not erase pictures that you don't like and take new ones. This way, you can prevent the fragmentation of your storage. This fragmentation could be your problem. I've seen it before. It happens a lot with the XD cards in Olympus cameras, for some reason.
I had customers with the same problem like yours. Here is what I did to the CF cards:
I copied all the pictures I could in all the ways I could (copy, transfer). Then, after all these, I recovered the files with appropriate software. SanDisk provides a fairly good software, but it can not recover information from dead volumes. So I used File Scavenger (around $40 on the web). File Scavenger recovers any kind of file, not just images, so it's very useful. It also preserves the original file names and folder structure. Then i formatted the card in the camera, recovered again to see if there is any difference.
After that, we need to re create the cluster structure of the storage space of the card. I do this by Low Level formatting. I use Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool (freeware at hddguru.com) This method phisically erases the whole sector structure on the storage media (the way the information is organized on the card). Then format the card again in Windows, then in the camera and voila! here's the brand new card.
I hope this helps.