HELP!!!! RAW files conversion!!!! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 01:04 AM
TE Newbie

Default HELP!!!! RAW files conversion!!!!

I am back from a trip to Italy with 2000 photos shot in RAW format. Here's the thing: I use Canon Digital Photo Professional to convert the RAW to TIFF then I open the TIFF in Photoshop. The problem occurs when I convert the TIFF to JPEG when done with the modifications. The JPEG looks like sh... the sharpening is gone and the colors are even lighter sometimes... I'm new in the whole RAW files thing so I don't know what to do... will I have to re-work the sharpening on the JPEG files everytime? If so, I don't see the advantage of shooting in RAW...
Please, HELP!
isabelle
Old 07-05-2008, 04:11 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: HELP!!!! RAW files conversion!!!!

Bonjour
Toutes mes photos sont issues du RAW
Je convertis directement en JPEG qualité d'image 10, mais avant la converssion j'essaye d'améliorer le rendu des couleurs de la luminosité et de la netteté en utilisant sous DPP dans le menu affichage/palette d'outils.
Après convertion en JPEG, je réduis l'image dans le format désiré avec Adobe Photo Element, version simplifiée de Photoshop et la compression d'image est faite entre 7 et 11.
En dessous de 7 l'image est mauvaise.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:13 AM

Default Re: HELP!!!! RAW files conversion!!!!

You always need to sharpen a little *after* you resize. Also make sure that you're saving with a good JPEG quality level; JPEG loses a lot of fine detail if you set the compression too high.

I use DPP and Photoshop just fine. I load and tweak the images in DPP, save them as 16-bit TIFF. Load the TIFF into Photoshop, make any further edits to the TIFF as required, then resize for web, sharpen and SaveForWeb.

Trust me, there are plenty of advantages to shooting RAW. Not least: Non-destructive white balance adjustments, changing sharpening *after* shooting, significantly improved highlight/shadow recovery, better fine detail, with the latest versions of DPP (and Canon lenses) you can also correct for most lens aberrations as well. It is definitely worthwhile, but it may take a bit of getting used to!