Raw shooting & B/W processing - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-29-2005, 09:50 AM
TE Newbie

Default Raw shooting & B/W processing

Hello everybody,

Can anyone give me an answer or share good and/or bad experiences on the best alternative to process beautiful Black and White pictures with RAW files ?
1 - Process in the Raw converter with Saturate slider to –100% and tune with WB/Tint sliders ?
2 - Or first convert to a TIFF file and process with Photoshop via “standard“ operations like Channel Mixer, Lab Mode, etc. ?

For printing, wich are the best settings : “Grayscale Mode“ or “RGB Mode“ in PS ? An the setting of the printer : Black ink ou Coloured Inks ?

Thanks for your answers,
Yvon
Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Raw shooting & B/W processing

I'm no expert, but your first method sounds promising - it should give you the possibility to vary the result while keeping a realistic balance of the colour channels (you might not want to see a face through a blue or red filter, for example). I typically copy colour channels into different (b/w) layers, then you can vary the transparency of each, and have the possibility to use different combinations in different areas of the image (by erasing parts, for example). I'm going to try yours, too.

Grayscale/RGB for the final image makes no difference, unless you want to tone it somehow. Printing a b/w with black+colour inks can give a better range of intensities.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:48 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Raw shooting & B/W processing

Hi Yvon,

I cannot answer your question since I'm no expert at all. But since I'm in the learning process with photography and digital, I have two web links that may help you.

The first one is a thread in the TE forum about the question of B&W conversion.

The second is from the site of Martin Henson From color to digital-monochrome. In his home page, you will see "My process explained pages 1~2~3".

Hope that help!

Claire