Differences across Monitor Screens? (Magenta) - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 AM
TE Expert

Default Differences across Monitor Screens? (Magenta)

I have an LCD Westinghouse monitor that I did my photo editing in. This image looked quite bright and magenta-free on the Westinghouse monitor. I had a chance to check the same image on a MAG LCD monitor and it looks much darker and displays a strong hint of Magenta in the sky portion of the picture. Both monitors appear to be "calibrated" if one looks at the calibration scale displayed here under the pictures.

Any hints what to do about this problem? How can I figure out whether the problem is with my image or with the monitor?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Differences across Monitor Screens? (Magenta)

Hi Kristaps,

I don't think it's a problem with your monitor - it's the colour space you're using. Looks to me like you used the Adobe colour space instead of sRGB - this is what causes the characteristic pink border you have. I'd guess you intended white? Should be easy to correct.

many greetings,
greg
Old 06-18-2007, 02:14 PM
TE Expert

Hmmm. In my "Edit/Color Settings/Working Spaces" it says RGB: sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Seems to me, the workspace used is sRGB. Or should I look somewhere else?

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Kristaps
Old 06-18-2007, 03:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Did you intend the border to be pink, or white? Open it in photoshop, and put the pointer over the border - you'll see the values are not pure white (unlike your latest from the G7).

Where are you looking at that menu? Right-click the original file (if it's a jpeg) and find the colour space in the properties there. If the original's raw, then you introduced the special colour space during the conversion process - look in your software there. (The jpeg you created will then show this space - the problem is that it gets stripped when you upload to TE, and then displayed incorrectly).

greg
Old 06-18-2007, 10:24 PM
TE Expert

Actually, thank you for pointing it out (about the border): the pink was not intended, but I think it was my "clicking mistake" doing CS work in the middle of night.

However, what I was referring to in the original post was not about the pinkish border but about the sky itself. By now, I have seen the foto on about 6 different LCD monitors: on four of them, the sky is filled with yellowish light, on two - with strong hint of lilac instead. So, I am not sure, which monitor to trust. The ones displaying the yellowish light (which is my choice) or the ones displaying the lilac one.

Regards,
Kristaps
Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm pretty sure that wasn't a clicking mistake - I've seen those exact same barely-pink frames many times on TE. I suggest that on one of the machines where you see the good version, you try opening the same file in both photoshop and in a browser window. PS will be using the profile; the browser will ignore it - if it is from the profile, you'll see the difference.

I had a similar problem: see this one and its workshop.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 PM
TE Expert

Thanks a bunch, Greg. Will check it out later tonight, when I am at home.

Kind regards,
Kristaps
Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 AM

The calibration chart is only intended as a rough guide; not least because it only shows B&W graduations. If your monitor displays all the graduations, it only shows that the brightness/contrast are roughly OK, nothing else. That's useful because it means you can reasonably judge exposure in the images posted.

Colour accuracy is much harder to achieve by eye, not least because such a large percentage of the population are "colour blind", and you need some sort of reference point.

The solution lies in hardware calibration of your monitor, with something like the Spyder2 PRO. I'm using one, and I can reassure you that the colours in your shot look about right to me. Of course, my saying that doesn't guarantee anything; there's no guarantee that my colour vision is perfect, or that my idea of what the scene should look like matches any form of reality ;)
Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 AM
TE Expert

Thanks, Adrian. I will check that spyder2 pro. Sounds interesting to me.

Cheers,
Kristaps