To emka: batumi tea - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Great emka 2020-02-09 12:22

Hello Gert, I didn't know where could be Rize, I found on the map. I was in Sarpi in Georgia, so not so far from there. With tea is a strange thing. Some tens of years ago there was a very popular song in Poland - about the tea fields in Batumi. I remembered it well and wanted to see these fields. But somehow they are gone. Anyway, I haven't seen them.
It happened to me quite often that someone wanted to guide me around when I was travelling alone. More than forty years ago in Sicily, enough that I took the map and at once, someone appeared ready to go with me, it was something new to me and it was fun. I remember the whole day in Palermo and Monreale.
Lately in Tashkent there were three days together.

Indeed, interesting that this mosque is new. But in the typical Turkish style.
Kind regrads MAlgo

Old 02-09-2020, 07:25 PM
TE Expert

Default To emka: batumi tea

Thank you Malgo,
I found this on the net:
At peak, in 1985, ca 70, 000 hectares of land was under tea plantations and 150 ,000 tons of tea was produced in Georgia, compared to the 2000-3000 tons made today. Georgia provided 95% of the whole Soviet Union’s tea consumption. Huge factories were built, villages together with it, whole communities were engaged in producing tea and life was blooming. Men at the villages still tell the stories, how one could buy a new car with the salary earned during one season. You could see and smell tea whenever you went out of the house – this is how locals describe the time. It was a time of glory, people had jobs, new buildings were built, everything was going upwards. The heyday was abruptly ended with the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. The industry crashed in only 5 short years. Big factories were closed and whole regions lost their employment as Georgia dealt with the aftershocks that the fall of the Soviet Union sent through the region. The tea industry lost its main export market – unable to compete with Sri Lanka and China on the newly opened market of former Soviet Republics. The shortage of knowledge on how to operate a company in a market economy became fatal for most of the factories and cooperatives.
Best wishes,
Gert