Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2019-01-07 2:08

Hello Elvira,
There may be a lot of similarities between Germany and Sweden, but when it comes to religious expressions in public, Sweden is very very different. You would never meet children dressed like this in our streets. Religion is very low on the agenda and Epiphany is hardly celebrated at all, even though it is still a public holiday. And white persons with blackened faces would definitely be frowned upon. There are enough African children to fill any "quota". Still, it's a nice and colourful photo which I would also have liked to snap, and as usual you cropped it well.
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 01-07-2019, 04:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To holmertz: Sternsinger

Hello Gert,
TE gives me more and more input, this time not only learning about the world, but about traditions in my country as well. I confess I didn't know what Epiphany meant, nor had realized that "Day of Three Kings" and Epiphany is the same day. Here in Lower Saxony we don't have a day off, but the lucky inhabitants of Bavaria (and Sweden, as I learnt today) have. Lousat and Mesut Ilgim had posted photos about Epiphany and that reminded me of my picture, which is an oldie dating back to 2005. Meanwhile I know a bit more about that "tradition": it`s not as old as traditions should be, catholic children dressed as Magi were sent to collect donations first in 1959. May be the first years they literally went from one house to the next, nowadays (at least here in Osnabrück ) they only go to members of their parish. Osnabrück, though a quite large catholic bishopric, has about a little less than 40% catholic inhabitants and about the same number of protestant inhabitants, continuously decreasing numbers since the seventies. Half of my grandchildren are raised as Catholics, the other half as Protestants, I myself am not religious at all. Today I asked my catholic granddaughter (aged 10) about the black faces, and she told me they don't do it. I didn't ask for the reasons, because I didn't want to start a discussion about the fact, that even Pippi Långstrump`s papa cannot be called a "Negro King " today.

Now, what a long composition, hope I didn't bore you to death and found the right words to be understood.
Thanks for stopping by, always appreciated.
Regards,
Elvira