Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2019-01-04 1:28

Hello Elvira,

What a beautiful photograph! And I appreciate your fine note too for here, against a background of snow capped barren mountains and foreground grassland which has barely started to recover from the onslaught of winter, we see these brave and wonderfully colourful crocuses bursting into new life before our eyes!

A finely composed image with the hut perfectly placed to "anchor" the composition perfectly, perfect exposure with glorious light and rich colours and absolutely amazing depth of field and sharpness throughout.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards and Very Best Wishes for 2019!

John.

P.S. And what an appropriate title too - and with no help from your friends. ;-)

Old 01-04-2019, 10:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: .....

Hello John,
thanks for your friendly words, always appreciated! I`m curious about the new camera you mention recently, no photos to post up to now? But of course I know the camera alone can not be praised if the picture is successful....., this "crocus focus" is done with the G1X, like all others from Montenegro, even the market scene in Ulcinj, a 1600 ASA shot. But nevertheless I would like to know what reasons you had to put your Mark III aside.
Kind regards,
Elvira
Old 01-06-2019, 11:22 PM
TE Expert

Default Canon 5D Mark IV.....

Hello Elvira,

Thank you for your message.

No, I never had a 5D Mark III.

I started off in 35mm photography at the age of about fourteen with a second hand Voigtländer Vito B, later had a cheap Russian Zenit E, then an East German Edixa Prismat and then a wonderful Olympus OM1N. But my first venture into digital photography was with a Canon 20D which was superb. Seven years ago I bought a Canon 5D Mark II and I've loved it - the image quality is superb and its performance in low light was very much better than the 20D.

But things move on and I suppose I had read a lot about the advantages of newer, more advanced cameras. I did find that the 5D Mark II was not terribly good at rapid and accurate focusing though it was superb for leisurely shots such as landscapes - but for trying to capture any sort of movement it wasn't that great. I suppose I should have gone for a 5D Mark III because I believe its focusing is very much better - but I was too late and so decided, as I have now reached the biblical "three score years and ten", to splash out and buy a 5D Mark IV.

Yes, it is impressive and it just "feels" right too.. It is very fast and appears to focus very quickly and accurately. Unfortunately I've only had the opportunity to take two or three hundred pictures with it so I can't really comment too much so I really must get out and about with it much more and then I should be able to let you know a bit more. On the other hand, there are some features which I suspect I shall not likely be using very much if at all - such as inbuilt Wi-Fi, blue tooth and GPS.

Kind Regards,

John.

Last edited by tyro; 01-06-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:39 PM
TE Junior Member

Default new camera

Hello John,
thanks for your detailed answer! Sorry I didn't read your intro correctly, thought you owned the Mark II and III and had the slight suspicion, you are keen on always using the latest model. Sure the Mark II is not the quickest, but I would still use it if I had not dropped it on the pavement. Crash!
Kind regards,
Elvira