Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2019-02-21 8:39

Hello John,

I love all three photographs, in fact the wire or the grasses, your w/s, could have been super and very different, main posts.
This main shot is so pristine! Without the snow, the impression would have been quite different.
I'm not complaining, I love it!
This is a type of composition that I particularly like, too, with a strong f/g presence, setting the scene and creating a fine sense of depth to an attractive b/g.
Do you remember when Gaffer used to critique and mentioned that there should always be a strong, f/g triangle? I still look for that and I think you've got it, here.
It is a really beautiful scene, wild and free!

My warm regards,
Bev :-)

Old 02-21-2019, 04:07 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: Composition....and "graffer"!

Hello Bev,

Thank you again for your kind remarks!

Yes, I actually preferred my two workshop images and thought at first about just uploading them. Perhaps it was just as well I did upload the "landscape" image as a main picture because Gert suggested that just uploading those frosty images might just have aroused the suspicions of the moderators - though I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps because they are not specific to a particular place: not sure.

Anyway, yes, of course, I remember the remarkable insight which Peter Geldart (graffer) had - you can see his wonderful theme on Compositional Analysis here - he certainly did his magic on some of my pictures as well as many of Gert's brother, Gunnar (saxo042) - and he probably had a go at some of yours too. But that was in the day when people took their time, wrote real critiques and always had lots of fascinating things to say about composition, exposure, colour, sharpness and so on.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:45 PM
TE Expert

Default Frozen Images

Hi John, Graffer was a sad loss to the site. I always enjoyed receiving a critique or a w/s from him.

I think you might have worried unnecessarily about your w/s photographs.
I have posed frozen leaves and frozen grasses in the mist, without any adverse comments from the moderators.
Maybe, if you have others that are similar or want to do a repost, it would be worth a try because they are excellent images.

Good news about, Craig and Joanne!
What a lot of changes he will experience!

Best wishes,
Bev