Protection of pictures: small format, or copyright?[EN only] - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-02-2008, 07:45 AM
TE Expert

Default Protection of pictures: small format, or copyright?[EN only]

the Subject is actual, too numerous are pictures of TE stolen and used for commercial aims, the recent examples are numerous.
We know that it is impossible to prevent theft.
Several solutions exist, but I would propose two:
- inscribe a light copyright on every picture,
ex: http://fr.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=3&p=825074
http://fr.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=3&p=825771
- reduce the size of the image posted:
http://fr.trekearth.com/gallery/photo786089.htm
http://fr.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=5&p=823557

for my part, I prefer the first solution, because, although © disturbs a bit the reading of the picture, I think that each can assess it and comment on it in the same way as if there was nothing written on, nothing will prevent the thief from taking it and from touching it up but it will always be half an hour of job that will cast some down...
the second version is more delicate because, if it prevents any impression, it does not prevent use from it on other Websites, and the members of TE do not have a good reading of the image, so much details are weak..

what do you think of it?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Protection of pictures: small format, or copyright

I agree that light copyright information is the better option for the reasons you have described.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Protection of pictures

If either, I actually prefer using smaller images. The reason being, I think that we can assume that a skilled photographer takes sharp pictures. The only time things get cloudy is if the image depends on the fine detail for impact; however I doubt a width reduction of 100px will make a significant difference to those images, as they'll always be best viewed on the wall of a gallery somewhere.

Personally I dislike the overlaid copyright as it (IMO) disturbs the flow of the image itself.

My solution? Copyright is asserted in the frame of my images; so if they crop that away, there can be no doubt that they intended infringement; then unfortunately it'll be down to the legal process to resolve matters.

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution. In an ideal world people wouldn't steal images; sadly this isn't an ideal world!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Protection of pictures: small format, or copyright?

The first question you have to ask yourself could be:
do I give in to thieves by victimizing my post with un-aesthetic protecting marks or size ?

Let's think Bill G.
let them believe or give the illusion,
same principle of many business nowadays
by theft
you take back by law
or
expose them on the net which could be more harmful then their theft

my impression
decent companies will compensate, sometimes unaware of pirated stuff they use
if you got enough cases going, lawyers will see business in it eating those small shrinks
my experience:
80% responds positive to exposing and complaint, the rest we'll see ...

Personally I would say no to both, I won't give in ... but everybody is free to chose.
I only hope that TE, certainly as a free site, would put it a bit more visible for outsiders.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Protection of pictures

I guess those who are worried their pictures might be stolen are already free to post them here at lower resolution than 800px...
Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Protection of pictures: small format, or copyright?[EN o

Hi Loic,

That’s definitively a hot topic. I would simply say that the pleasure to browse pictures here would be reduced by seeing (c)opyrights and watermarks in each picture, reducing size isn't cool too.

Serious publishers will anyway contact you for permission, and certainly also ask for higher resolution. The only ones who steal pictures are small one-man businesses but then: what do you expect them to pay you? I believe $0.0 is the answer with a humble promise of removing the picture. Why not ask them to include a mention below the picture, with your link to TE, instead? That makes more sense to me.

Cheers,
Pascal
Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
TE Newbie

I believe that big watermarks in Photoshop are the best compromise. You can adjust opacity individually based on the picture (not to destroy it to much) and based on how much protection you want to have. If you put your copyright just to the corner, it can be easily cropped.Watermark elimination from the picture means for the thief always work.

Re-sizing algoritms are better and better and there are magazines everywhere, which live just from what they find on the web... If you resize the image, you need even more to do something with the watermark.

Example, where retouching would take time and you still get a feel about the place:

http://www.photographicatlas.com/index.php?pg=photo&f=2071
Old 05-04-2008, 04:45 PM

I'm firmly in the bit watermark camp. Although it can be removed if somebody want to make real effort it will be enough to dissuade the casual thief. I don't like smaller images because (a) too much detail is lost and (b) when viewed on a modern monitor with a width resolution of 1280 or higher the image is too small to judge properly.
In a perfect world nobody would steal the property of others, but we aren't in an ideal world. As the instances of theft do seem to be increasing I will certainly consider watermarking in future. As long as the watermark is applied carefully it need not detract much from the image.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:49 PM

Sorry to post twice, but I missed this from a previous reply " The only ones who steal pictures are small one-man businesses."

From previous posts both here and on other boards it is clear that statement is simply not true. There have been reports of tourist organisations, major companies for advertising etc using photos without permission. These are not one man bands, far from it.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 PM
TE Newbie

I recently have deleted all of my photos but one from Trekearth. I have had one too many photographs stolen from me from this site among others. This last incident was the last draw........

A brief summary - I recently visited my favorite town in Portugal which is Obidos. During this visit, my wife and I heard some really good music coming from a store located on the main road. We stopped to look at the music cd which was placed on the store window because it was the one currently playing. Guess what we saw on the cd---a photograph that was taken by me placed on the cover of the cd. We went into the store and discovered five (5) additional music cds and they ALL had my photographs. A total of eight (8) of my photographs were used without my permission.

As of this time, the owner of Exaltar Music, has payed me for "Stealing" my photos in the amount of $250.00 per digital download. The ironic part of this story is that she represents music artists in cases of "Copyright Infringement'.

After a further inspection of the photographs used for this music cd, I have discovered numerous other photographs from the town of Obidos that were used. These photos were taken from Treklens from various members. The owner of the store stated that she did receive permission from these photographers but I don't believe her. Once I get access to a scanner, I will upload the cd covers and inserts.

I will not name the store at this time but it is located DIRECTLY across from the pillory on the main street.

The stolen photos as they appear on the music cds can be viewed Here

As a previous posted stated, I exposed this company on the internet and I believe by doing this, it has brought her negative publicity which would hopefully, cause her to lose money.