Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Great macjake 2018-03-12 17:34

Hi Benny
first off...about my last photo you made a comment about it being strange to leave your kids at the kid market while you go sight seeing....I did some research - Its NOT a child care centre, its a FUN zone, and Child focused shopping centre and play area :) I corrected it in my note, thanks :)

as for this photo here....we see these buildings alot in European cities (never in North America), but i have NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER..say it again...EVER EVER seen interior shots. why is that???????????????? Is it impossible to get inside these beautiful buildings? As an architecture lover, I am so curious to see interior photos. I have so many questions.

take the tallest building here for example, i can count 7 levels. Educate me please....are people/families renting out each level and living here? are they empty? does a family own 2 or 3 levels? are they rented typically or owned? are they shops? residential?

For some reason its hard to get an answer. I've seen so many TE members posting these types of buildings but nobody really talks about the current interior usage of them. I get it that probably on the bottom floor its shops...but what about the many levels above the bottom floor.

sorry for all the questions, but as a North American these are very rare for me and I just don't know how they're used in today's world. I see these alot in Poland too.

thanks alot

Old 03-13-2018, 05:14 PM
TE Expert
Post To macjake: answers

No easy answers here, I'm afraid, Craig.

You'll only find this type of house in old city centres.

1. In most cases these houses are no longer privately owned. Most of them belong to banks or other businesses (e.g. breweries if there's a bar/café on the ground floor).

In most cases there's a bar or restaurant or shop at the ground level and most of the upper floors are empty.

2. Usually the facade is fully protected, the interior isn't. Often that has been renovated over and over again, so there are hardly any original elements left.

The only "protected" interior would be if the house was turned into a museum before it was sold to a company. (Not the case in Antwerp.)

In this picture the two houses on the left have famous cafés on the ground floor, both have meeting rooms higher up. Notice the person in that one open window, that's a meeting room too.

It typically goes like this:
private owners (families) > sold to a bank or big company > turned into apartments > apartments abandonned (as most companies only care for the business on the ground floor)

No easy answer, but I hope this helps.