Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2019-01-20 3:25

Hello Paul,
I understood that you had made quite a long journey, but in your case it's impossible to guess where you had gone. Obviously India has the same magic attraction to you as it has been to me. The south was clearly a better choice for this time of the year, when the north can be rather chilly. Tamil Nadu has turned out to be my favourite state, but Kerala is very nice too. This is a relatively simple photo, but it is bright and attractive and shows that amusing details and strange beauty can be found in any unexpected place in India. I am sure you will soon show us photos from Madurai's marvellous Meenakshi temple, one of the most fascinating places I have ever seen.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: The Meenakshi Amman Temple

Thank you Gert,

The Meenakshi Amman Temple in Madurai was indeed one of the highlights of my journey.
The numerous sculpted pillars are fantastic and the atmosphere with the many Hindu visitors was very interesting to witness.
But today you can only enter with the clothes you wear (without shoes of course) and you can take your wallet inside. Everything else is forbidden. No little backback, no camera, no smartphone.
Photography inside is completely forbidden. I really regretted that.

So I only have photos from outside where the four surrounding streets are now traffic free.

Best regards,
Paul

Old 01-20-2019, 09:04 PM
TE Expert

No camera! I took photos but the darkness made them impossible for TE. But maybe I should post one anyway, now that it is unique.
Gert
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 AM
TE Expert

Yes, Gert,

No cameras and no cell phones can be taken inside.
In my hotel they told me I had to leave my camera in the room (at the entrance of the temple there's of course a storage room as for the shoes) but that it was still possible to take a smartphone inside. Also that has changed recently.
You will be searched relatively thoroughly by soldiers. I even couldn't take a mini flashlight inside.

Maybe you can show your photos of the temple when I show mine from the outside views.
However, if I proceed in chronological order, it's not immediately time for Madurai.
My starting photo was a bit of an exception.

Best regards,
Paul

Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 AM
TE Expert

Hello Paul and Gert,
How strange that there was such strict control in the temple and by soldiers.
One could not have backpacks and cameras on the glass bridge in China but mobiles were still possible.
I have some photos from Meenakshi, maybe I show something after yours. They are of poor quality, my first digital pictures in 2004 but when now it is impossible to take better ones I could "be inspired" .

Have a nice day

MAlgo
Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 AM
TE Expert

Hello Malgo and Gert,

The reason they gave me was 'security' ...
They were afraid of terrorist acts ...

Don't know if this is the real reason.

Best wishes,
Paul