Photographer's Note

To come to Bikaner is almost mandatory to visit Deshnoke. I didn t visit Bikaner itself. This is a glimpse to its outskirts. Like in Jaisalmer, desert safaris on camels exist also from this city. About 85% of the Thar desert is located within India, with the remaining 15% in Pakistan where it is called Cholistan desert. More than 60% of the desert lies in the state of Rajasthan. About 40% of the total population of Rajasthan live in the Thar desert.
The desert comprises a very dry part, the Marusthali region in the west, and a semidesert region in the east with fewer sand dunes and slightly more precipitation. It is not a true desert, but rather a steppe area where there is a very sparse vegetation of which only the sufficiently extensive dunes are deprived. Jodhpur, the largest city in the region, lies in the scrub forest zone.  Bikaner and Jaisalmer are located in the desert proper. This area has become arid relatively recently - perhaps between 2000 BC. and 1500 BC. At that time, the Sarasvati river, now called Ghaggar-Hakra, ceased to be a major stream and became endorheic and lost in the desert sands. Source : wiki

ikeharel, PiotrF, sacimar, Fis2, pierrefonds, jhm, adramad ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Gueguel Miguel (Miguel82) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 5451 W: 0 N: 4633] (37321)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2005-00-00
  • Categories: Naturaleza
  • Versión de la foto: Versión original
  • Date Submitted: 2019-10-05 2:33
Viewed: 354
Points: 26
  • None
Additional Photos by Gueguel Miguel (Miguel82) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 5451 W: 0 N: 4633] (37321)
View More Pictures