Fotos

Photographer's Note

A closer look of the clock tower that forms part of the Sultan Abdul Samad Building in the colonial centre of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The Sultan Abdul Samad Building is a late nineteenth century building located along Jalan Raja in front of the Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square) and the Royal Selangor Club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The building originally housed the offices of the British colonial administration, and was known simply as Government Offices in its early years. In 1974 it was renamed after Sultan Abdul Samad, the reigning sultan of Selangor at the time when construction began.

The building now houses both the offices of the Ministry of Communications and Multimedia and the Ministry of Tourism and Culture of Malaysia. It once housed the superior courts of the country: the Federal Court of Malaysia, the Court of Appeals and the High Court of Malaya.

The building has two stories, with the floor plan roughly in the shape of the letter F with an extended top bar representing the frontage. The facade of the building faces the Padang and stretches over 137.2 metres (450 feet) along Jalan Raja, making it at the time it was built (1894 – 1897) the largest building in Malaya. The building has 3.5 metres (11 feet) wide verandas on both floors. A central clock tower is 41 metres (135 feet) in height, and designed to echo the Big Ben but in an Indo-Saracenic style. Two lower towers flanked the clock tower, each containing a staircase. The design of these two towers may have been influenced by Muir Central College of Allahabad in India. All three towers are topped by a copper-clad onion dome. The style of the building is sometimes referred to as the "blood and bandages" style – red bricks with white plastered arches and banding.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Photo Information
Viewed: 600
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10646 W: 63 N: 29872] (130967)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH