Fotos

Photographer's Note

The Municipality of Koper received its town hall, in 2001, after the renovation of Praetorian Place. This palace is situated in the principal town square that also nowadays preserves its role of municipal centre. The disposition of the square is a typical example of Mediterranean architecture, the characteristic that distinguishes it is its closed look that reminds of the town counsel hall.The Praetorian palace shuts in the Southern part of the square. Some information claim that Koper received its town hall in 1254, whereas some detailed studies about the panning of the square, propose 1268/9. The biggest building operations took place after the revolt, in 1348. In 1380, the unfinished constructions were destroyed by the Genoese who attacked the town and buried it. The next building for the new palace started in 1452/53. Initially was built the left wing with the portico which guides to the Calegerija (Čevljarska street). The right wing dates from 15th century. In 1505, rose the beautiful portal or gate “del Corte”, which through the small terrace over it, binds together the Praetorian palace and the Foresteria. In the middle of the two wings there is a statue of Justice.

The Praetorian Palace and other buildings in the square received their definitive look during baroque period. The facade of the palace reached an ideal harmony and a refined look in 1664, after a renovation, when was changed the disposition of heraldic decoration and memorial plaques.
The Venetian Republic decayed in 1797 and this event gave rise to the loss of luster of the palace which lost also its importance considering the fact that podestà, captains and the Great Conseil left Koper. In 19th century, during Austrian amministration, the mayoralty was moved to Armerija. Italian amministration, after the First world war, attempted, unsuccessfully, to bring back the municipal seat to Praetoria palace. The conditions of the palace decayed because also the following amministrations found new seats. There was a small revival during a static renovation and after the opening of the restaurant Capris, in 1968/69.Platea Comunis is considered one of the most distinguished town places and Praetorian palace is the most beautiful palace of Koper, because of those reasons, experts and the Municipality decided that it should become again the town palace containing the mayoralty, the hall of the town counsel and the wedding hall. After a renovation, which lasted some years, the majority moved into the palace in 2001. The palce, with its facade rich in inscriptions, heraldic device and other decorations, narrates the story and the destiny of Koper. Yesterday, today and tommorow.The renovation of the palace costed 800 million of thalers: 600 milion were donated by the Municipality of Koper, 150 million by european funds Phare and 50 million by the State. The furnishing was permitted thanks to the help of Koper entrepreneurs.
After the opening in the Palace have taken place diffenet meetings, sittings of the town counsel, exhibitions, lectures and protocol receptions.

pajaran ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Nikola Nadas (NickVu) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 11 W: 0 N: 180] (187)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2017-07-24
  • Categories: Arquitectura
  • Versión de la foto: Versión original
  • Date Submitted: 2017-07-24 14:10
Viewed: 825
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Nikola Nadas (NickVu) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 11 W: 0 N: 180] (187)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH