Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great photoray 2012-09-15 16:51

Howdy Karen,

YOur sublime sunset does not reveal the temperature extremes in my Eastern Sierra Nevada. I have cross country skied South Lake and other nearby areas in winter and can testify to the coldness, but the magnificent beauty is worth it.

My only Sierra Nevada regret is not going to work when I could for the Calif Dept of Transportation's District office in Bishop. Oh well...

Have another fine weekend and keep up the adventures, Sincerely and cheers,
Ray

Old 09-16-2012, 03:55 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To photoray: thanks

Hello Ray, I read an article by Galen Rowell that said he had had a vision about the eastern sierras when he was living and working in Sausalito. It was because of that vision he sold everything and bought the bank and moved to Bishop. The article said that of his many photos taken in landscapes there were more from that area than any other place. He also had gone on a sierra club hike and backpack trip in the eatern sierras when he was around 10 years old and that started his love affair with the area and mountaineirring.
By the way, temps were in the upper 70's during the day but down in the 30's at night.
Have a great day,
karen
Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Eastern Sierra Nevada

Howdy Karen,

Yes indeed Galen Rowell, David Muench, etc. our my photo heroes. I have learned and experienced and been inspired by a magazine for many years they worked with - Outdoor Photographer.

I have been returning to the Eastern Sierras since my teenage hood when my Dad took me camping and trout fishing on June Lake. I returned on my honeymoon, tent camping for a week. (Perhaps why she divorced me two years later?)

I am also a member of the Sierra Club, but will have to postpone long hikes until I recover from a motor scooter accident.

Is your current trip over? Any plans for future adventures?

I am frequently excited by all of the natural and historical wonders around me in Northern Calif. And the festivals and events are inticing and photogenic. The upcoming America's Cup races in Frisco Bay are really amazing and eye catching - October 2nd - 7th.

Work hard and play hard,
Sincerely,
Ray Windbum Anderson