To EstudioChispa: Workshop on "Bear in Good Company" - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good EstudioChispa 2013-02-22 8:56

Hello Peter!
I've read your profile and see myself in some of your remarks -- I am a student trying to get a more objective understanding of the techniques and aesthetics that I've tried to develop over a lifetime.
FWIW, here's my analysis of this shot. Feel free to be equally discerning if you wanted to critique any of my shots -- I'm new to TrekEarth, but one thing I've found is that people are hesitant to do much more than compliment obvious attributes.
I think you've captured the pleasantness of this sculpture garden (and I love the green willows contrasted with the bare trees), but the composition here lacks any compelling focus. Is it a picture of the bear sculpture? If so, the bear deserves more than 3% of the frame. Is it a study of the water jetting up and falling down from the fountain? With due respect, let me do a quick workshop and crop it down to those two elements -- and I'm gonna also erase that spotlight! What an unwelcome distraction!
All offered in good spirits...
Russ
Austin, Texas

Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 PM
TE Newbie

Smile To EstudioChispa: Workshop on "Bear in Good Company"

Hi!
Appreciate your input. I actually have no techniques worth mentioning, and trouble getting out of the auto mode with decent results.

This photo was taken naively, and probably meant to capture the peaceful lake as a whole, with the bear and fountain as an obvious point of attraction. You're right that it has no clear focus.

Your edited version does have a focus and may be better from a technical point of view. Unfortunately, I feel that it loses much of the charm of the place: the lake as a whole, and the beautiful variety of trees.

I find on trekearth several kinds of photos that attract me: photos of interesting places that are fun to learn about; stunning shots of nature or architecture that are a visual delight; and pictures of people that make me feel connected to humanity. My original shot is just a photo of an interesting place, without much aesthetic value; I feel there is not enough initial composition in it to turn it into great aesthetics, even with editing.

Very nice of you to take the time to work on this! Thanks - Peter

Tags
composition