Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great chawax 2014-03-01 9:12

Hi John,
Are these red squirrels so big that they could be dangerous for drivers ? Very nice shot anyway. You composed it very well with the road driving us to the glen. Many nice colours and beautiful light.
Have a nice week end,
Olivier

Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 PM
TE Expert

Default To chawax: Dangerous Red Squirrels.....

Hi Olivier,

Oh, yes, this is Scotland and these red squirrels are so big and dangerous that they could swallow you and your car in one bite!

Seriously, the numbers of our "native" red squirrels are sadly on the decline in Britain due to the ever increasing numbers of grey squirrels which compete with them for food and also carry a disease - "squirrelpox" - which can kill the red ones. So people are becoming very protective of red squirrels here and this sign (I've never seen a similar one anywhere else) is presumably there to tell you that you should avoid driving over a red squirrel that runs in front of your car.

Interestingly, I believe from some other TE members that red squirrels are very common indeed in places such as France and Poland. Do you not have grey squirrels? I believe that the grey squirrels which we have came originally from America.

And thank you for your kind remarks on this picture!

Amicalement,

John.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM
TE Junior Member

Yes, these red squirrels are the ones we have in France. No grey squirrels for the moment, but from what I found on Wikipedia they are in Italy today (they were introduced in 1948) and cause the same problems you have in Britain. They could propagate to France in the coming decades.
Have a nice sunday,
Olivier