Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good mafan 2005-10-13 4:58

great photo! the use of b&w makes it look like the girl's a statue that's just woken up & looking at where she's been standing for centuries! the colour in the background gives it a surreal, almost 3D effect. the only thing i don't like about it is the line from the wall which seems to be falling into her eye. i thought it was water when i first saw the picture. maybe you like it, but for me it was distracting & slightly disturbing (as things involving eyes often are).

cheers, jenny

ps. you say this is a church in york...any reason why it's under edinburgh? from your description and the architecture, it seems like the church in edinburgh at the bottom of broughton street?

Old 10-14-2005, 12:16 AM
TE Newbie

Default To mafan: your comment

Hi Jenny, Thanks for your comments. You are quite right about the line on the wall. I hadn't noticed that before, but it will probably annoy me now forever! The church is in York - Edinburgh was my mistake.

I'm off now to have a look through your uploads!

N.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:39 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To mafan: your comment

hi neil, don't let the line annoy you! you seem very talented at photoshop, so i'm sure you can remove it, or at least make it more subtle.

so it was york...if you're ever in edinburgh, you should have a look at the church at the bottom of broughton street, it is very very similar to the one in your photo & is often used for photography exhibitions.

cheers, jenny
Old 10-14-2005, 11:43 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Jenny - I'm certainly not an expert in PS, but I could remove the line - funny how I didn't see that the first time.

I work through in Glasgow mainly now, but am in Edinburgh from time to time, so will look up your church at some point.

Neil. ps I enjoyed your portfolio - especially the Uyger Man. Shame we don't get that light in Scotland very often.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:33 AM
TE Newbie

foos yer doos neil! ah bonnie scotland. how i miss it...especially in autumn. i'm glad you like my photos, i still have a long way to go & a lot to learn before i'm even half as good as many folk on this website. i think trekearth is a great place to improve; even travelling it's rare to meet other folk who are really into photography & even if they are, it's unlikely they'll have photos to share.

the light when i took 'uyger man' was really special, but i also love the light in scotland. when it's good, it's amazing...just unfortunately it's so often overcast & grey!

what are you doing in glasgow, anything exciting?

cheerie bye, jenny

ps. please have a can of bru for me...it's been over a year but i can still taste the sweet, sugary magic! (nb. i am not liable for any dentist bills you receive as a result of drinking the ginger!)