Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great doreeneden 2004-06-25 11:38

I find this quite a compelling picture, perhaps because it is B&W. I think it would have lost some impact in colour. Do people have to stay out all night to keep the fire going? I suppose there are loads of fires going all over the place.Well done Aigars and welcome to TE. Doreen

Old 06-25-2004, 08:47 PM
TE Newbie

Default To doreeneden: Ligo night

thanks. Most of Latvia stays up all night and every river and beach is heavily populated by fires. From the place we stud on the beach we could see a fire every 500 meters on each side and that was a very remote location on the shore, there was only one small village nearby.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To doreeneden: Ligo night

The Latvians (and Estonians) celebrate this occasion in the U.S. too. It's usually a large social gathering at either the Latvian or Estonian house...not as intimate as the one pictured. Both groups celebrate it with gatherings around outdoor bonfires.

The Latvians make a special cheese for the occasion called "Jani-sirs"...not sure of the spelling. It's translation means "John's cheese". Some of the Latvian men will wear wreaths on their heads.

For both cultures there is a tradition of searching for the fern blossom on this evening. Of course, ferns don't bloom. In the old days it was a way for young couples to get away from the crowd to get some private time to themselves in the nearby woods or beach. ;-)

Also in the old days, the men would take turns jumping over the fire.

Linda