Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-15-2004, 02:48 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: BIG problems in India

Well, we say the same thing in Poland, so maybe it's not spanish proverb ;)

I've heard another "gold thought" that would be applicable to the loss of Maciek's pictures:
"we make pictures in our minds, we need camera only to share them"
Old 07-15-2004, 03:04 AM
TE Expert

As I was rambling around this afternoon I encountered a woman getting out of her car. She observed that I carried a camera, which was the start of a lovely conversation. She showed me her new Digital Rebel and I related the story of your recent loss. She said she bought the DR after having her Olympus 5050 stolen in Hawaii this spring. Then she mentioned a close friend of hers who lost $23,000 worth of camera equipment. Sooo, it seems such things are attractive targets for thieves all over the world. It reminds me, also, of having left my camera bag with a Nikon and three lenses on the back of a chair at a restaurant in Greece after an especially fine breakfast. I discovered it missing perhaps ten minutes later. I returned to the restaurant and the owner had my bag behind his counter. Good things, bad things, all things... who is to make sense of any of it?

My favorite spiritual quote, since they are floating around at the moment, is...

Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst out in laughter. Long Chen Pa
Old 07-15-2004, 03:24 AM
TE Expert

Well, we say the same thing in Poland, so maybe it's not spanish proverb

Actually, this is neither spanish nor polish but german. Also, it is not even a proverb, it is a quote taken from some of Nietzsche writting (don't remember which one). The quote says "What doesn't kills me, makes me stronger".
Old 07-15-2004, 06:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Default quotes

since we are quoting...
i found the following pertinent quotes by Nicolas Bouvier:

"If we don´t grant our trip the right to destroy us a bit, we better stay home."
"We think that we are taking a trip but soon it´s the trip that is taking us....

"Si on ne laisse pas au voyage le droit de nous détruire un peu, autant rester chez soi."
"On croit qu'on va faire un voyage, mais bientôt c'est le voyage qui vous fait, ou vous défait."

http://www.avoir-alire.com/nicolas.bouvier/flaneur/bio.html
Old 07-15-2004, 09:08 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: quotes

"We think that we are taking a trip but soon it´s the trip that is taking us....

"On croit qu'on va faire un voyage, mais bientôt c'est le voyage qui vous fait, ou vous défait."

Taken from Bouvier's excellent novel about his trip from Zagreb to the Khyber Pass (Afghanistan), "L'usage du Monde" (ed. Petite Bibliotheque Payot ISBN: 2-228-89401) or the English edition "The Way of the World" (Marlboro Press ISBN: 091039587X).
Old 07-15-2004, 01:51 PM

hi everybody
tahanks for all the good words I received from you, for all those emails, i really need such words...
i am in Delhi now, waiting for a new passport. Maybe tomorrow I will go back to Hong Kong. I still have one month to spend in Asia before going back to Poland. I think i will buy a new camera and try to go somewhere, even just for two weeks... I cannot live without photography I think ;) really

and how this all happened? here is the story.
I was catching a train from Varanasi to Agra, i was at the station early and i waited for the train. but the train wasn't coming to the platform. then i found that the train was on another platform, i rushed there. I found the car and i entered the train. i found my seat. i had two bags - one backpack with important things in front of me and the big one with clothes on my back. my mistake was that i put the passport and the money to the small backpack too - i just felt very safe in india!
i had the upper berth. I put th small backpack on my seat and the big one on the floor to secure it. when i stood up to take a padlock from the small bag it was not there anymore - in few seconds! the train was about to go, i run through the train, so trace of my stuff... then the train run. i jumped out from the going train and went to the police station. i wrote the report, listed all the things i lost...
and i didn't sleep for the whole night, the next day i couldn't eat... i was sick, i stayed in the guesthouse, i was arranging money and a new passport and airticket by the internet...
now i am in Delhi, i fell better, i can sleep at night again. and i still want to be a photographer, it is the way of my life i think ;)

thank you again for your support, without you i would just try to forget about pictures
Old 07-15-2004, 05:34 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Maciek. I am glad you are feeling better and glad you will pursue photography as your chosen hobby as well. I can't tell you how badly I felt when I heard what happened; in part just as a general empathy for another photographer, but even more so, as someone who has met you and seen how much you truly love taking photos. I am glad the thief has not been able to steal that from you. Maybe to spite him/her, you should buy a 1DmkII, or a 1DS ;).

Anyways, I am glad you are back on the right track and that things are looking better for you. Where do you plan on going in Asia now? Of course, you are more than welcome to visit Taipei.

BTW, I will give an answer to your other thread: You are completely normal. I think that the reason you are not wanting to get out and see things is not so much because you are a photographer only, but simply that such a thing can take away enthusiasm for pretty much anything.

Keep fighting the good fight Maciek.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:44 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: quotes

wow, You're really good at quotes! :)
Old 07-17-2004, 07:48 AM
TE Expert

I always travel with a money belt, & conceal it beneath my shirt,when alighting from busses & trains at crowded stations. I keep my Amex TC, cash, passport, visa card & airline ticket inside my money belt at all times. & never leave it in my hotel. If I have a sleeping bag, I keep the money belt inside the sleeping bag at night. I use a bicycle chain to secure my backpack or suitcase to an immovable object like a railing.

I had a bag stolen from the train between Hue & Ha-Noi in Viet Nam, but there was nothing of great value inside. It was just a pain in the neck to have to replace everything. eg nail cutters, coffee, soup, books, water bottle, biscuits etc etc. I lost a day shopping for replacements. I have my suspicions that it was one of the train staff that stole the bag. On the train between Ha Noi & Lao Cai (Sa-pa), the railway conductor was snooping around inside the compartment with a torch between 11 pm & 2 am. When I asked him what was he looking for & what was the problem?, I didn't see him again for the rest of the night. I slept with 1 eye open until the train arrived in Lao Cai at 7 am. If you have travel insurance, try to get a signed statement from police asap. Your embassy may agree to a statutory declaration for travel insurance purposes. My embassy (Australia) in Hanoi kindly agreed, when I explained my circumstances to them. They are under no obligation to do this. He said I was the 5th person that week to complain about theft on Vietnamese trains. So you are not alone. Railway staff in Vietnam were reluctant to co-operate & kept fobbing me off. eg 'Go to Station A in Hanoi' who said 'Go to station B' who said go to station A' & so on.

You will quickly put this behind you & become older & wiser.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:21 AM
TE Newbie

Very sorry what happened to you Maciek, wish you all the best and take care for future. Dowidenja. Radu