Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PDP 2004-07-21 18:50

Amazing! I think the white dots may be parasites - I see these on hoverflies too. If only you had focussed on them! ;-)

How close were you from teh subject? I am having trouble approaching dragonflies - how do you get so close?

Well done Bente!

Old 07-22-2004, 09:48 AM
TE Newbie

Default To PDP: Getting close

Hi Paul,
This darter was just out of its larvae shell a few hours before, and the wings weren't yet hardened sufficiently for it to fly away. That's why I could get so close. You could have shoved your Olympus 5060 into his face (if it's like my Oly 5050, the minimum focus distance will be 3 cm in super macro mode) without him going anywhere. My lens has a minimum focus distance of 49 cm, but with the close up filters on I can get closer. I'm not sure, but the tip of the lens was probably some 25-30 cm from his face.
Re: parasites, I don't think this was it, as there would have been pretty little time for him to catch any. The parasites I've seen on dragonflies have sat on the belly and looked like reddish pinheads, bigger than these little flecks. The white colour makes me think dried up fluid of some sort is the likeliest explanation and that it will have blown off once he started flying around.
Best wishes,

Bente