Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-22-2004, 10:11 AM
TE Newbie

Default Gypsies in Romania

I want to inform you Jean Baptist, these gipsies spend this life in such conditions in their SELF DECISION. They are nomade people since ever. They need no bath and no kitchen, they don't have a occupation. This is a fact and NOT an political incorrect statement.
In the fifties and sixties, the communists tried to "fix" them in free, coastless own houses. They refused and leave.
I remember I saw years ago also in south France nomade gypsies camping somewhere near Arles. Of course in substantial better conditions. In Germany is the same situation. If a gypsie family request from the German State 70.000 Euro for having a motorhome "while we are nomades per tradition" they get it. Romanian State can't not and the reason for that is the miserable politcs of the last 50 years. We hope all this will change, and Romania will "return" to Europe with your grace.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:55 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Gypsies in Romania

Dear Radu,
thank you for your kind informations.
and sorry if I offensed you and others with these 2 mistakes :
- talking about Europe instead of EEC (Romania is in Europe of course and should enter EEC in 2007)
- let people think that Romania is pushing Gypsies to live like this, on purpose
My aim was not to accuse anyone, just to tell a fact that I saw (a miserable camp). It could have been in France or elsewhere as you said truly.
Sorry again and see you later, I hope, on TE.
JB
Old 01-25-2005, 06:37 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Gypsies in Romania

I'm surprised to know about that, since I've read so much about prejudice against gypsies in Europe, specially in Germany. The Vatican itself (and I was even more surprised when I saw that) has assumed a position against prejudice. See http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/migrants/index.htm

Thanks to you all - beautiful shot!