Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-08-2004, 11:36 PM
TE Expert

Default How can I improve my ratings ?

A simple , maybe embarrassing question but maybe a better way to give a general view to Adam how creative you can be to puss ratings high in disadvantage to the value of critiques. I know high ratings are often false reflections of the value of the photo but on the other hand it can also be a way to newcomers to make their photos visible on this site.

Up to you and your imagination to reply or not.
If the question is too delicate to the site then I ask Adam to remove it, although it could help to improve by redirecting the ratings in a more adequate way.

I will give you one for starters, one that I never use, as it is against my principes.

1 Do always rate the latest new photo of a member as it makes you more visable.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:59 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: How can I improve my ratings ?

Hallo Henk,
-) Zorg ervoor altijd een zéér goede foto te posten, in uw geval is dat geen enkel probleem.
-) post nooit foto's van bloemen, deze zijn niet populair bij de meesten.

-) Post always a very very very good photo.(No problem for you)
-) Never post a flower picture. (my problem)

Pat
Old 10-10-2004, 05:23 PM
TE Newbie

One way to be fair to everyone is in order to post one would have to rate a number of pics from some one else other than their favourites
Just a thought
Tony Botelho
Old 10-11-2004, 01:26 PM
TE Expert

Most unusual this thread indeed : seen 152 times, reactions 2 so 152:2= 75 the highest in this general forum. Adam can read out already some hypothetical conclusions out of this, for instance, a lot want to know, only 2 want to share ... why ? .. fear, keeping up appearances ....

I give you one more as I do see a silent acceptance here .....
respecting answers already given this become the 4th

4 do at least your 20 critiques a day (if you are short in time restrict yourself to the points you like most) this makes you also more visible on this site ! so question could also be how do I make myself most visible here .
Old 10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
TE Expert

Honestly, I read and re-read your message and I don't understand where you trying to go. Probably my English.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:00 PM
TE Expert

simply target: how to improve the rating-system
for instance
on point four
in the critique-window there could be already indicated how to make you critique by suggestion:

technique:

subject:

composition:

general:

I name a few , this could improve already a critique, don't you think.
So use your imagination
and put a possible solution in a sub-thread, if you got one.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Dear Henk, I will be perfect frank with you. I have given you workshops on a couple of your pictures which definitely needed improving and demonstrated how you could have got higher ratings. You rejected one of those workshops as not useful, and didn't even acknowledge the other one. I, for one, have decided not to critique your work any more. You have a good photographic eye and capture interesting situations, but your work is sloppy, yet you do not want to be reminded of that. If you want to improve your points, improve your postings and acknowledge when people try to help you. Respectfully, Eva Kato
Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 PM
TE Expert

Thanks Eva that you calibrated your screen in the meanwhile and realy I think your reaction is based on a personal interpretation, hopely you will tune this too, any problems mail me and I reply if you want to listen ?
I noticed that mostly bad critiques stays unreplied here, maybe your reaction on my reply explains this.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:18 AM
TE Newbie

Being a relative newcomer to this group myself, sometimes it is intimidating for us to just come in and start critiquing photos. After all, some of you have been around for a long time, so speaking for myself, it might be a little presumptuous to say anything at all.

One thing I've noticed in my week at Trek Earth is that very few people are willing to post any constructive criticism. I'm not sure why this is.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:03 AM
TE Junior Member

It is intimidating, and I was where you are now. I am still there as a matter of fact, because almost everything I've learned about photography, I've learned here at TE.
In the beginning, due to the encouragement of a few of the "learned ones", I did offer critiques, mostly only pointing out what I liked specifically in a photo. I read a lot of the critiques, and always remembered to mark the ones that were helpful, even on other people's photos. That's how I learned the phrases and techniques of standard good photography, as well as a few remarkable things from those who didn't follow the status quo but still produced and uploaded great photos.
Then it was a matter of sharing with other what I'd learned, in a very humble way of course. I have gotten and still do get the occasional, "What?!? How dare you?!?" response to a negative comment, or a hopeful suggestion, and I am still afraid that a helpful workshop that I did once put someone over the limit so that they pulled out of TE, but I just had to remember those people as someone who doesn't want my help, and move on to someone else. I have even criticized "the masters" on occasion, and it's wonderful when those very popular and talented photographers take the time to comment on some little thing that I've done.
In the mean time, the little comments with very little constructive criticism in them are still great to receive, because I wonder if it's from someone like me who's just afraid of getting whacked on the head by someone who really isn't here to get criticism, just praise.
That's the crux of the matter - what are you here for? Critiques? Points? As you go, you find a few who are the same way, and you latch on to them. During the summer, I was experimenting with taking photos of lighting. I critiqued a lot, so that I might get some help. Most critiques came from the same group of people. And I made a few friends, and that's always a good thing too.
Best of luck to you all. I'm not as active these days, but I still think, if you look for the good, expecting to find it, you surely will.
Pollyanna, er, I mean, Michelle, aka digi-mom