Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great yanseiler 2007-09-26 10:06

Hi Antoni, this is an interesting shot, the old man leaving the place for the young kid and you well composed it... Yemen seems to be a photogenic place, how is it to travel there ? How are the people ?

Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To yanseiler: people

Not bad, in fact quite nice, but not as good as I expected.
Unfortunatelly Yemen is now in the difficult phase, when it is no longer isolated country, but the majority of tourists are rich French travelling with big 4x4, guide and so on, giving away pens and candies like crazy. That make kids quite annoying, as almost everyone will expect you to give him a pen (no matter that they have four pens in their pocket already).
They are also not very eager to invite you to their homes, as you could see the women this way (a grave offence for Yemeni). And be prepared for a big language barrier.
So, it may sound depressing, but I compare with countries like Sudan or Iran, where people are absolutely fantastic. In Yemen they are quite nice, not much hassle fortunately, but I found it difficult to develop some deeper relations.
It's quite opposite to Ethiopia, where there's quite a lot of hassle, but people are in general more open, and when you find a proper one, you can have great contact.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To yanseiler: people

thanks Antoni, yeah for any reason it seems that some tourists have the bad habit of "feeling so good" and they spoil the place... I don't know if there is something with the French as in Myanmar people tend to ask for bonbons (candies in french), who knows...

I thought about Iran but now I would be afraid that a minority of the people think that I am American and would be mean with me :)
Old 09-27-2007, 12:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Well, they would need to think of you as a president of USA to be mean :). They have nothing against ordinary Americans, I've met some travelling there and absolutely no problem.
Really, people in Iran are the greatest I have ever met, and having spent there two months, I never had any problems. Well, maybe there was problem how to politely reject some of the numerous invitations, as it was physically impossible to accept them all :).
Old 09-27-2007, 12:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Looks to be an interesting country, I will put it on my list...
Thanks Antoni