Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Paolone 2004-10-19 4:57

What I like most is the dynamic range: how you managed to capture the balance of shadows and highlights. In situations like these, I tend to come up with underexposed shots on my IstD. Did you have to spot meter?
I am also impressed with sharpness (some posters in dpreview would be too, since you were using your sigma).

Old 10-19-2004, 05:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Paolone: about dpreview, Pentax, etc

Hi Paolo. Thanks for your critique. I am always happy to run across another *istD user, there aren't that many around.

Off the top of my head, I would say it is 85% likely I used the spot meter on this shot. With a long lens, and with contrasty condtions especially, I pretty much always use the spot meter. For wide angle, I usually use multi-segment. Not sure if this is the best method, but for me it is what is comfortable.

About the Sigma: I love it, I think it is just a great lens and I have had zero of the issues mentioned on dpreview. then again, I don't shoot rulers ;).

Actually, I have four Sigma lenses (70-200, 15-30 and 28mm, all EX and an old 400mm f/5.6). None have given me a headache at all. Right now, everytime out I carry the 70-200 and the 15-30.

Who are you on dpreview? I post there as well, my name is Darren M. I have written some happy posts on dpr, both about my *istD and my Sigma lenses. Mostly, I think the complaints that pop up over there are from users who blame their equipment when something goes wrong. I know that not every shot I take works, I also know that when this happens, 9/10 times it is user error. On the other hand, maybe I have been lucky with my gear.

I hope you are enjoying your *istD as much as me.

Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Paolone: about dpreview, Pentax, etc

Darren, Thanks for the infos.
In dpreview I am LanfranK. I am quite happy with my IstD, although I cannot agree with some of the poster there that think it is the Best camera ever made. I had the chance to play with a Nikon and I must say that it is quite a tool.
Anyway, my istD is more than enough for my (limited) skills , so I hope it will serve me for quite some more time.