Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
TE Expert

Default how about a "help" or "problem" button linked to admin?

I think that frustration is the issue at this point. The performance of the site has been terrible for several weeks now and is at best undependable. I think that 90% of the times I sign on now and do more that one look or reply that it locks up.

I would like to know what if anything could be done to alleviate the issues we are having but the problem is (to me anyway) that there is no way to report the problem other than start a thread in the forum and hope that some admin is reading it.

I think there should be a help desk or other process that links the signed in members with those in control of the network and in a case like that which is being experienced the status of the issue could be posted for all to see and thus eliminate all the message traffic about the dysfunction of the site.

Greg
Old 08-25-2008, 06:25 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: the reason is

The reason of this problem is simple, the network is saturated. The only solution to increase the capacity, but there will be always a limit
The 71.000 members could never be connected to the same moment. It would be interesting to the technicians of Trekearth to make a satistic graphic study for each hour in GMT time.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: the reason is

there exists many sites which are way larger than TE and for which you get a faster loading of the pages. The admins obviously have a problem with the servers. Solution:leave the site and force them to act more quickly. Less hits on the site, less money getting in...that should make things move a bit.
MC
Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
TE Senior Member

the network is saturated...
flickr is far effective with millions more photos and users

those who control the network...
can "they" communicate about what's happening?
do "they" care ?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
TE Expert

EXACTLY
Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 AM
TE Expert

Default Haven't things got better today?

The problems related with slowness and, even worse, loading and posting errors, are something that worries all of us, but I have the feeling that, with the exception of Sunday afternoon (GMT, European time) and evening, things have been slightly better these last days. Today I felt the site slightly better than what it was before problems started to appear frequently. Is it just my impression? At least, I experienced no error!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Haven't things got better today?

You were lucky,Jose,working maybe at the right time,but also today TE had a lot of bad moments ...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: how about having admins?

Well, the question is maybe not about having a button linked to admins, but to simply have admins.

As another TE member wrote, it's been more than 2 weeks that dozens of users complain and complain about the server, and what we got was two lines of an esoteric explanation ("We are currently experiencing system-wide intermittent network outages at our data center" - august 14th).
I see that former owner/admin Adam is still active to lock and move threads of the general forum, but he didn't write an announcement since march 2008.

I don't know how much money the owners make with the advertising generated by the pictures freely provided by the users. What I know is that there's not much we can expect in return.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
TE Expert

I don't disagree with this but at the same time we are receiving benefits for which we have no expense. I do not advocate there being an annual fee to use TE and I assume that advertisers are paying to access the crowd that does post and looks at our posted photos. If that is the current situation then it sounds like it should work, as long as the hardware supports activity on the site.

I do not understand why who ever "admin" is these days has not addressed the issue in a way that users, visitors and advertisers can see and feel reassured by. Why are we being kept in the dark?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 AM
TE Senior Member

That is the question that worries me most - if they were busily fixing the problem one might expect that they would tell us that good news. If, on the other hand, the problem is one that requires expenditure beyond their limit and therefore they aren't going to fix, then they would not tell us...