Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good macondo 2008-10-21 21:53

Hi Josue.
I saw a comment by you in a forum. Seeing you are a new ember, I thought I would look at your gallery. I didn't realise how new you were!
Anyway, you have here a basically pleasing photo with nice colour tones, good use of the palms for framing, and three subjects well placed in the composition (although the boat on the left is very close to the edge). However, there are some things that you could do to improve it:
1. The colours are nice but contrast is low, meaning the highlights don't really stand out eg. the palm leaves and the boats.
2. The horizon is a little too near the vertical centre - the 'classical' approach is to place it at 1/3 from the bottom or the top.
3. The horizon is tilted to the left. This can be easily straightened out in software.
4. The photo needs to be sharpened a little more after reducing the size.
5. You could make the photo larger - your shot is only 600 pixels wide, when it could be 800. Let's say it could be 800 including a simple frame of about 50 pixels.
I have made a workshop with some of these things included. Remember, that the picture quality of a workshop won't be good because we are working only with the original small uploaded photo.
Anyway, I hope you don't mind the WS and find the comments by myself and Michael helpful.
Regards,
Andrew

Old 10-23-2008, 02:01 AM
TE Newbie

Default To macondo: Very helpful critique

Hi! Macondo
Like you said, I'm a new member here but the knowledge I'm gaining in a few days is helping me a lot, specially when editing a photo. Before I didn't pay closed attention to the horizon and now after your comments I realize that a leveled horizon looks much better in the composition. Also I had no idea about placing the horizon 1/3 from the bottom or the top. My original photo has people in the water in the foreground and I had to cropped them out. On the left my original also has a partial palm tree very close to the boat that I thought was very distracting and I had to trimmed it out. I applied some sharpening using Photoshop cs2 but didn't apply enough contrast thinking that the colors would look too rich. The photo looks a lot better in the workshop thanks to you. I'll post a new photo keeping in mind your valuable advice. Thank you so much!