Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-08-11 2:38

Hello Gert,

Reading your notes, it made me wonder how you prepared for such a trip. Did you take a huge stock of films with you or did you work on the assumption that there would be places to buy new films, in Western Africa?

I always find your photographs interesting for you give us an insight into the everyday lives of the different nationalities. There are always some little snippets of danger, too. I agree, don't argue with a man pointing a gun at you!

This long boat, with a single sail is well shown on on the water. As a fishing boat, it will not deplete stocks as modern trawlers manage to do! We get a feeling of 'place' from the b/g of palm trees, small dwellings and beached boats.

My favourite is actually the abandoned boat, from a purely artistic point of view but it tells us mothing of the life of the people.

Have a lovely day,
Bev :-)

Old 08-11-2020, 02:32 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: films

Thank you Bev,
For every journey I made in the analogue days I brought as many films as I expected to need. I could never have counted on finding any Kodachromes in Nepal or Mali. I think I brought about 50 rolls for a 10 months journey through Asia (and used 46). During this journey to West Africa I used 19 Kodachrome rolls and 10 B&W. I don't remember how many I brought, but 29 rolls would have been just over 1000 photos in four months. That's what many digital photographers would take in less than four days now.
Best regards,
Gert