Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 11:36 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: No protection on TE?

PS
like I said before,
if you want to ensure yourself that your photos are to be stolen, you are on the right place, TE scores the top, you could as well post them under creative commons license so that everybody can use them for free at 800px

the biggest problem is not to indicate clearly that photos are copyrighted resulting in the easy save as and past on so many blogs of young people unaware of the possible consequenses that companies like even the BBC have to excuse themself not aware that they were using already pirated photos, a respectable photosite indicates the copyright properly like even Magnum is putting a Gif over it when not logged in, like flickr puts a blank Gif over it ... but on TE they do nothing with the excuse that it can be sceendumped anyway, weak excuse !!!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 AM
TE Expert

Hi Henk,

You are right, unauthorized use of photos is always theft and it shouldn't happen. I am just saying that I don't see how technology can be effective preventing it in sites like TE or Flickr.

I discovered only now that it can take something more than just a few clicks to obtain a photo from Flickr with the "save as" option of a browser, because the properties of many images appear as a 1px gif. Gee! One has to look for "jpg" in the HTML source of the page! Boy! That is really complicated! :D

DO you know this one? http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/3004776679_da33344a69.jpg?v=0

What I wanted to note was that those little tricks to "protect" sound like those persons who feel very safe because they have a good lock in the door but they hide the key in the flower pot.

OK, in Flickr it takes a bit (very small, if I may say so) more of technical knowledge to obtain the published jpg than it takes in TE... Obtain is not even the correct word, as when the image appears in the screen, the jpg is already in the hard disk, although most of us don't know where without the help of a program that probably is free and/or quite easy to get. Does that makes a real difference. Frankly, I don't see how.

That's true that in TE we can't restrict the access by members. Would it be nice? Maybe to some people, but when I want to publish photos that I don't everybody to see, I put them somewhere else. Anyway, you seem to have plenty of photos publicly available in Flickr.

The only things I can think of that may increase the risk of theft compared with other sites is the structure based on Geography of TE and that photos in TE score better in search engines than in other sites, namely Flickr. Is any of those things really bad? Does TE make sense without its geographic structure? Don't wee want our photos to be seen by people? You can say "hmmm... yes, but I don't want them to be so popular." I don't know how that can be possible.

If I saw the chance of finding in Flickr what I enjoy in TE, I would have already moved, as it offers much more features and degrees of freedom than we can ever have in TE. And probably doesn't make sense having, because it would become just "another photo site". But every time I go there, the interactivity between members is just so... depressing. Look for instance at the comments you have in your last photo, Henk:

Fabulous portrait!! bravo.
---
good one Henk
congratulation. fantastic photo.
---
Nize one!
---
hello Henk!
This is really nice portrait, great light and his expression is good also.
---
These guys are so strong, they have prominent veins, work tirelessly!

Friendly regards,
José
Old 06-07-2009, 08:16 AM
TE Expert

mmm, let's evaluate that last, critiques on TE,
let's take an example of TE critiques of any member with more then 100 responses:

cut the oracles, the word-pollution, the exaltation, the idolizations the many, many words in the wind that some need, not even capable to express why they like a photo as critiques that are artificial forced by a system to show off bombast and grotesque simply to express the basic : I like it !

Reduce that time-wasting reading repetitive word pollution flow and what do you get left as practical, revealing or useful that could be shown in a WS but that takes more energy than typing with 10 fingers and producing 20 critiques in a minimum of time, I have seen that once of a so called "pro" doing 20 within 15 minutes, great ...
so what do you got left after reducing all that ? 5% useful or less ... and that 5% even drops after years of reading what you already expected ....

And I don't need to copy and paste such brilliant examples of word-pollution as TE favor such by featuring those oracles often enough.

It encourages even members to mouth-shooting, I hope it is not necessary to explain that.

So I let you chose between those artificial forced word-polluting critiques and the spontaneous without any obligation produced 'Oh I like it' as Magic in photography can't be explained, it is there or not, no matter what postprocessing-script you use, going way beyond the nice picture-show.

Conclusion, the Workshops along the explained tips is the only really useful thing on TE, missing a bit on other photo-sites but that possibilty is hardly used, except by some

and as a pleasant thing to know behind the screen,
I got more the one edition of my hand running on TE scoring above the 100 points, up to over the 300,
thnks to the intensive follow-up of Workshops that are still a goldmine of info
that in contrast to all those critiques you might like for the illusions they create.

Enjoy José, the relativity of things
Henk
Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 AM
TE Expert

PS
within flickr exploring their excellent world-map you'll find all photos of even the tiniest regions, villages or streets .... I see you didn't explore that yet !
Old 06-07-2009, 05:50 PM
TE Expert

Hi Henk,

I agree that the average "quality" of the critiques in TE is far from high and I don't contribute that much to correct the situation. 8-) Lots of "sugar coat", lots of copy paste, etc. Nevertheless, compared to Flickr...

I thought about participating seriously in Flickr more than a year before I discovered TE and I think I still have a couple of photos in a forgotten account. I see the place much alike "nobody and everybody"'s place that is much closer to Hi5 and alike than with a "community site" where one feels like at the bar where we go often and know the name of everybody, be it customer, employee or owner. Well, I must admit that one of the problems in the TE bar is that nobody knows the owner and every time he does anything the ambiance is much disturbed. :D

I hope I won't be ridiculed in the event of move myself to Flickr, which is someone that comes closer every time that some crisis arises here. :D

But, sorry for being so stubborn, that has nothing to do with our photos being used in contexts that we don't control (let me be very diplomatic here), at least from "outside" robbers. That issue of the resale rights raises (again) another much worrying issue...

As for the geographic organisation, I prefer Panoramio, not so much because you can't do the same with your photos in Flickr, but because the nature of the site encourages that most of the photos are geographically referenced.

Recently I found a site that I foresee as a strong candidate to replace TE when I decide that I had enough of it: locr.com

Friendly regards,
José
Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

I wanted to check out this turkist site but it seems it's no longer accessible, my turkish is too poor to get all the information from this message:
"Serverdaki problem nedeniyle sayfa bir problem oluştu lütfen tekrar denemek için aşağıdaki linke tıklayınız..."
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
TE Expert

Yes, I noticed this too
But I didnt get any email from them saying who gave the permission to use my photos ....
Maybe to block their site was the easy way for them
Thanks, dear JY
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 AM
TE Expert

It means, "due to a problem in the server, the page cannot be displayed.. Please click on the below link to retry".
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
TE Senior Member

After what i send one e-mail to that tourkish journal, about my stolen photo and my promise in case are not if not quickly resolve, i anounced the European organism for copiryght law, my image photo are deleted from that tourkish journal website.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM
TE Expert

Hi to all,

From the first time I've been a member in TE (since May of 2004), I asked from Adam and the Trekearth team to include the option for a watermark in our photos as a protection from stealers. but nothing happened. When I tried to put this watermark my self I got several not very nice critiques from members, that this watermark ruined my photo!

I suffered many times from stealers about my photos, especially the photos from my hometown Chalkis and I wondering how hard for the programmers of TE is to include a kind of automatic watermark for our photos.

A small walk to sites that are selling Free Royalty photos and will see how they protect their images.