To annjackman: Mist in the woods......... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2014-11-19 2:12

Hello Les,

An interesting note and a lovely photograph capturing the autumnal colours perfectly.

I rather suspect that you might have used your "Big Stopper" or some other strong ND filter for this in order to achieve such a long exposure and that has given you a lovely artistic softness and blurring of the fast moving water of the Tavy. I know some people absolutely adore this effect while others simply hate it: I'm still sitting on the fence, enjoying the artistic quality but still not quite certain whether it really equates to reality!

Here, however, it has worked very well here and the brightness of the river contrasts well with the soft light and gorgeous autumn colours in the upper part of the picture. Your composition is excellent too with the lovely little bridge perfectly placed in the frame. And, as always, technical quality, exposure and sharpness are bang on.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 AM
TE Expert

Default To annjackman: Mist in the woods.........

Hi Ann,

Thank you for your kind remarks yet again!

This was a very foggy day - all day, in fact - so no need to get up early to get photographs like this.

Funnily enough, I was just now reminded of the wonderful road near you which winds through gorgeous beech forests - the road my satnav directed me along on my way from the M25 down to Random Hall in Horsham. I think I mentioned it when we met. I've just had a look at Google Maps and I think I've found it - I came down from just off the M25 and went south down Effingham Common Road and continued south through Effingham down Beech Avenue which turns into Critten Lane as it passes through Dunley Wood before meeting the A25 between Abinger Hammer to the west and Wotton to the east. From what I can recall, the bit through Dunley Wood was the most spectacular, the road weaving through thick forest with the trees all meeting overhead. The road was narrow and twisty and quite slow but a very welcome and serene break after 400 miles on dreary uninspiring motorways. Dunley Wood can't be very far from you (about 40 miles from Random Hall, I think!) and in autumn might give some good photographic opportunities!

Kind Regards,

John.