Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kasianowak 2022-01-04 8:48

Hi Gert
You sent me a link to this image years ago and, having just come across it again, I noticed that I didn't comment. Maybe I had run out of green smileys? ;-)
This is a portrait of such a different culture to ours. When in Bhutan, I often felt cold just by looking at people wearing gho sometimes in cold weather. Here, I shudder seeing this novice monk's bare foot resting on what must have been a really cold floor.
It also makes me wonder what the reason was for your subject having just one welly. At least the kid playing football in my image from Bhutan was holding the other boot in his hand. Maybe this monk has to share a pair with another one?
Anyway, great portrait, with the subject nicely standing out of the slightly out of focus background.
One of your "odies' but, somehow, I have a feeling that if you visited this monastery now you would find that not much has changed.
Best wishes
Kasia

Old 01-04-2022, 03:59 PM
TE Expert

Default To kasianowak: football

Thank you Kasia,
It was just 8 years since I sent you that link, so what's the hurry? ;-)
I remember now that after writing my note to this picture, and the critique to yours from Bhutan, I found in my diary that the bigger novices had taken his shoe to use it as a ball. He was the smallest, so what could he do? But since he didn't take part in the game he was the only one who had time to follow me inside to see what I was doing and to pose for a photo.
Best wishes,
Gert
Old 01-04-2022, 04:50 PM
TE Senior Member

Default football

Ha, it was worth writing the critique to receive the explanation. :-D
I hope they returned the other boot to its unfortunate owner!
Have a nice evening
Kasia