Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great batalay 2008-09-27 10:51

Hello Dorte,

Photographs from the air can span the whole gamut from the very good to the very bad — I guess, it's that way with everything else also. But this is a very fine image of Mount Cook and the rough terrain surrounding it, complemented by a sensational note. Unhappily, I have not visited New Zealand, but your photographs make it alluring.

Warm regards and have a good weekend,

Bulent

Old 09-28-2008, 04:48 AM
TE Newbie

Default To kinginexile: The Funding Mechanism Is Now In Place

JOHN BROWN
[email protected]
[email protected]

September 28th, 2008

Herve:

You may remember a photo I posted on TE a long time ago regarding a school in Ban Buamlao, Laos, the Ban Buamlao Primary School. In the caption information I mentioned I was going to try and help alleviate the situation there. Well, Herve, it has been a long process but I wanted to let you know I have remained committed to the statement I made. I don't want to be known as some type of internet wanker.

I wanted to share some great news regarding the project that involves raising $2500 to purchase books and other urgently needed supplies for the children attending the Ban Buamlao Primary School in Ban Buamlao Laos. My project partners include a registered charity based in England, http://www.changingideas.org. Changing Ideas was started by a British photojournalist, David Graham, who became inspired to help others after his own son was paralyzed in a diving accident.

The project has taken a bit of time to roll out, but a funding mechanism is now in place and I am personally inviting you to become a project advocate to help a group of people without a loud voice in this world (as John Vink would say).

Please have a look at the project by visiting http://www.betterplace.org/projects/455

After you complete the two minute sign-up process you will be able to invite your wide circle of friends and associates to do the same.

Between you and me am displeased a bit with the slideshow the charity put together (all horizontals) as well as the selection represented on the betterplace.org website. I have had a couple of magazine stories published this year, a World Bank publication cover, inclusion in a six book project, even had a photo in a gallery show with Pep Bonet. I am not very good though and I am learning as I go along. This project in the end then is not about photographs (I am trying to be as low profile about this as possible) but rather, an idea that just got stuck in my head after meeting these kids. It's not about one guy changing the world. It's about seeing if one group of people (us) can help another group of people (them). Just a simple little idea.

I am a lurker on the David Alan Harvey blog and I agree with him when he said "BOB, SIDNEY, HERVE.....you guys write so so so much and so intelligently and yet i respond less to you than to many of the others...please take this as a compliment...your writing always speaks for itself and so i like to leave you alone to do your own thing....also, i tend to respond to direct questions and/or problems people are having.....again, you gentlemen hold up this forum....as do many others (nobody can beat akaky's treatise on religion and well, i got confused!!!)....and shapiro holds his own too.....but you guys have been in for the long haul and i so so appreciate your insights…"

The point is of course, that you never know whose head you are kicking with your astute thinking and questions. Please keep it up. Someday when I feel ready I may emerge from the DAH blog closet. I like that Harvey is helping people along the path of discovery, both photographically and in some ways, otherwise. Most of my story ideas suck, so I can think about them there.

One of the main problems photographers have been facing now for awhile is how to get the audience in a more contemplative mood. Vink got a Smith award for his "Water in Sahel" story and it was first published 10 years later. It's been magazine published a grand total of once, so I guess it doesn't push editors hot buttons, I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for your attention. I hope this letter isn't too "off the wall". If you have any questions just email me at [email protected]

On behalf of the 120 school children attending the Ban Buamlao Primary School in Ban Buamlao, Laos, THANK YOU!

Best Regards,

John Brown