Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Emiel_Skyfreak 2007-05-26 13:53

Hi George,

Well composed photo. Great POV and nice depth due to the rails curving through the photo. The colours are spectacular, nice and vivid. The quality and thus sharpness and details are not the best though. I hope that to be better in the next shot. I'll give you two points for it now, though..but hope it will improve if you show another shot from this location, with train.
Just don't compress it down to 100kb.

Best way to get close to the maximum of 200kb in Photoshop CS2 (Which I see you use) is, when you want to save your file for uploading, do the following :

Go to : File, Save - Save for web.
On the right you see some settings. Put it on jpeg. Tick optimized. Next to preset, you see a small circle with a triangle in it (a play button like on a DVD player etc) Hit it and go to optimize to filesize. Desired file size : type 198kb. Then save it in some folder. This resulting jpeg should have the best possible quality for your photo size (in pixels). Good luck. The quality will rise.
You'll only lose the exif info (which you can see in the original file and enter here while uploading in Trekearth)

Old 05-27-2007, 07:39 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Emiel_Skyfreak: CS2

Ηi Emiel,
Thanks for your comment and critique.Really your note is so useful.I didn't know,until now.the way of savings files for web.I ll try it to the next one.
Thanks again,
George
Old 05-27-2007, 07:47 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Emiel_Skyfreak: CS2

Hi

I read Emiel's comment about the "Save for Web" command in CS2. Be careful because this save command erases the EXIF data from your photos.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
TE Newbie

Default CS2

Ευχαριστω Μπαμπη θα το προσεξω ιδιαιτερα.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:41 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: CS2

Αν σε ενδιαφέρει να κρατήσεις τα EXIF data όπως εγώ, δοκίμασε με το κλασσικό "Save As..."
Old 05-29-2007, 01:22 PM
TE Senior Member

That's noted in my post aswell. It ain't that bad if you keep the original file, you can always access the exif from that file if you need it. If you really want to keep it, then indeed work with 'save as', the filesize given for certain quality ratings there(1-12) are estimates. In general an estimated filesize of 170kb or less result in a file smaller than 200kb. Sometimes the filesize get's bigger than the estimation, sometimes smaller..
An estimated size of 194kb for example, can result in a file of 213kb when you use 'save as' and then you can't post it here anymore.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 PM
TE Expert

I know the problem that "Save As" has about the file sizes. Anyway, I choose a level down to meet the proper size. My personal opinion is that is more easy to have the EXIF data inserted automaticaly from TE that to do this work handy. :)
Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 PM
TE Senior Member

Yeah it takes some time..I switch between both ways of saving, if I think I can easily make it with save as (thus maintaining enough detail, even if the resulting file would be 150 or 170kb for example) then I choose save as. It's easy then to maintain the exif info. If I think the detail level in a highly detailed photo would suffer from compression, then I go for a filesize of 198kb and lose the exif. It takes some more time to put it in, indeed, but for me it's just a minute extra. I put it in manually in the notes most of the times aswell :)

Anyway there are thus some options to save and we can choose :)

If the estimaation from PS CS3 is better then I go for using 'save as' again only.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:45 AM
TE Expert

Hi Emiel

Well, you have right from your part. Maybe I'm a bit lazy to do this work manually :)

Best regards
Mpampis