Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-12-2013, 01:58 PM
TE Senior Member

Red face To jcpix: Atmosphere, imperfectly...

Jason...

Thank you so much for sharing the "I'm sure we've all done it" story -- it made me smile (and remember a terrible night as a cub reporter, age 23, when I traveled 200 miles for a high school football game only to return with all but nothing that was usable!). I am also intrigued that you, too (Deniz has said the same) never shoot in auto! I am leaning more and more towards that philosophy!

FYI, I went back to this scene Saturday morning and shot it with proper settings; not surprising, the results were superior, but I agree that there is "something" about this frame that is missing from the new ones.

The better news from Saturday is that my wife's "paddle board yoga" session was much, much closer to the dock than they had been in the past, so I was able to get some better shots of the class. Check 'em out here?

Best regards,

Russ
Austin, Texas
Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 PM
TE Expert

Default That's a new one!?

Hey Russ,

Paddle board yoga...never heard of that before!? Interesting! Thanks for providing those pics, I would have just figured it to be yoga on a paddle board in some sweaty gym, rather than an actual mat in some sweaty gym!??

My lack of exercise probably plays a lot into my inept knowledge of these kinds of activities. My workout consists of going to the fridge during a commercial break!

You know, even after shooting in full manual mode for almost the last 9 years, it's only been within the last year that I've come to a much better understanding of the controls. I used to simply open the aperture as wide as possible to allow enough light in for the highest shutter speed since I shot a lot by hand.

Now that I'm getting a better grip on the importance of the aperture, I almost can't shoot without a tripod for fear of camera shake. All of this being said, I'm still screwing things up!!

Just as recently as last weeks trip back home I took as many pictures as I could, thinking I had a reasonable idea what I was doing...only to come back and find out otherwise on the "big screen." One of these days I'll get it...or at least I hope. Anyway, I've tried to go full auto in a handful of instances, but always felt like it was completely out of my control....although I'm guessing the camera would have made much better decisions at times. Oh geez, I've rambled on too long now!

Take care,

Jason