Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

battousai 2006-08-24 7:36

Dear Mingfang,

With all due respect, I cannot agree with you that these moto-taxis are increasing income of the handicapped people... I used to take them every single day, at least for times a day (on my way to work) and I've never seen a handicapped person riding it. They are usually people from outside of Beijing, who cannot get a legal job in Beijing because their hukou ("birthplace certificate") is somewhere else and this is their way to make a living. Certainly, there are some handicapped people riding these motorbikes, I even had a neighbour friend who had problems with walking and rode such a motorbike. However, as far as I know, he wasn't earning a penny from it.

Unfortunately, there are less and less of these "modi" (Moto-Taxi) in Beijing. As I said, I used to take them every day but after returning to Beijing in the beginning of August after spending one month in Japan, I was told that nowadays those guys are banned by the police, hunted and fined. It's a pity, indeed.

Best regards

Pawel

Old 08-25-2006, 05:32 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To battousai: Hi !

Hi Pawel,

Thanks a lot for your critique. Yes, you are right, most of this kind of moto-taxi were ridden by the normal people. but as i know, the original idea by the government is to the handicapped people. but anything can be "bian tong" in China. do you know the Chinese characters "bian tong" ? :) so, many people can be ridden it. yes, nowadays these modi are banned, and it will go into history too.

I tried to write more about it, but as you know, my english...so very thanks for you added toit, and let people know more about it. i think you must be a "zhong guo tong", glad to meet you.

Best wishes,
Mingfang.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To battousai: Hi !

Hi Mingfang,

I know what "bian tong" means and no :) I'm not a "Zhongguo Tong" yet... (I got an impression that this word is overused by Chinese people to flatter foreigners). However :) I've spent some time in Beijing among local people and I got the idea how do things work there.

Don't worry about your English - it will improve as long as you post many photos here and give us as detailed comments as possible.