Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great prantik 2007-11-06 9:20

I am so glad to see that you are uploading from your stash of 16 year old Mexico pictures. I like this one a lot. This is how you went to Guatamela? I will have to get in touch with you early next year. Thinking of going back to Chiapas as well as visit Guatamela.

By the way, how do you like the Nikon V ED? Can you make large print quality scan? How much is that baby?

best
P

Old 11-06-2007, 05:40 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To prantik: Saludos

Hey, Prantik,

I'm glad to see you around. I remember you asked me once to upload some of these, so I pleased to see you discovered them.

Yes, this photo was from a trip to Guatemala in 1991, I believe. I traveled from Palenque to a small Mexican river port called Tenosique, I believe. From there I got together with some others to hire a small boat, as you see, down the Río Usumacinta into Guate. The border crossing is actually on the river. Later, you disembark in basically an outpost and wait for transport. Then it's an absolutely horrible -- but truly awful -- 8-hour bus ride to Flores from where you can visit Tikal.

Of course, that was 15 years ago. It's surely changed a lot since then. In those days, before the EZLN, the whole area was underdeveloped. When I went back to Chiapas in 1998 and went down into the jungle to Yaxchilán, I barely recognized the place.

The scanner is awesome. I love it. It was $550 US. It's the bottom of the Nikon line, but I think it's just great. Compared to the flatbed I was using, it's like science fiction. It can scan 35mm at 4000 dpi and output at any size you want. So you can bascially blow your 35mm frames up as large as they will go. In other words, you're just limited by the quality and grain of your negative. It's not 16-bit, but it can scan at 12-bit. All of these scans were done at 8-bit, most at 2000 dpi, saved as TIFF files with an output size of about 1600 x 1200 and imported into PS for processing. It's fast, too. And I really love the Digital ICE feature, which cleans up the dust and scratches. In short, a great purchase. The thing makes we want to start shooting film again.

I haven't been down to Chiapas or Guatemala for quite a while, so my info is not too current, but feel free to get in touch when you're planning your trip and I'll be glad to tell you what I know.

Best,
-Hugh