Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

jimkil 2010-09-05 19:25

Hi Lisa
It looks pretty bad down there, the papers and news yesterday was non-stop, I woke up at 6am Saturday morning to take the dog out and get the paper when the man behind the counter told me about the quake. We didn't feel a thing here in Auckland, I rushed home and you could see some images had been posted already but yesterday the real truth showed
it was bad... the mad thing is the scientists were not expecting this one... the bigger alpine fault in the heart of the south island is the one which is going to be the biggie and Wellington needs to be aware that this is the one that will cause the most heartache. I think the response of the government has been excellent, power is restored to 95% of Christchurch and the surrounding rural areas and they will be back on their feet in no time. Great to see that the government also put a end to the ongoing mining act here, yes we have lots of natural minerals like Australia, problem, is the country is not as vast as you guys and it would look more obvious...... hence the 100% pure New Zealand brand would be nothing short as laughable had they started ripping up national parks to give us an extra 500 billion or so in the coffers.
Hopefully the AB can win it next year, however they have a tendancy to choke - especially when the French are involved Nothing wouldn't be worse than the Aussies coming over here and winning, somehow that is doubtful in my opinion though - not even with dingo Deans as the manager :-).
Jim

Old 09-06-2010, 07:10 AM
TE Expert

Smile To jimkil: Hi Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you've not been affected. It sounds like a bl**dy nightmare down there, what a mess. And Christchurch is such a great city, it's hard to find out what's gone and what's not..a bit like the earthquake in L'Aquila Italy last year. I can't believe it caught the scientists unawares. Have read about the big faultline in the Sth Island, it scares the hell out of me and should be a real worry for any of the major cities there. Sounds a bit morbid, but I have this thing about earthquakes as my nan died in the Naples one in 1980. I remember the horror of the one in Newcastle (NSW) about 15 years ago and that was small fry compared to this latest NZ one.

The All Blacks would eat France for breakfast - and any other team you care to name. Can't say I'd be disappointed to see those those spoilt cry-baby Wallabies lose. If they won, we'd never hear the end of it. So an AB v Eire final would be quite thanks

The NZ exhibition at the Quay was great by the way...very impressive stiff.

Have a good evening and thanks again
Lisa