Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jcpix 2013-08-13 19:04

Hi Kristin,

Queue up some Soundgarden...it may be a woman featured here, but I keep hearing Spoonman in my head! :) Great shot of these two, cookin' up some hometown tunes of which kitchen utensils are used as an instrument. Loving this setting too, the twisted metallic backdrop gives this a junkyard charm that seems so very fitting for this scene being played out.

So much character and life portrayed in this image, and another wonderful depiction of the real, every day life moments that most would pass by. You certainly have a great intuition to capture these opportunities, and I'm glad you share them here with the rest of us. Just one question though, where's her right foot? ;) Don't let anyone give you any grief over that, it's a delightful image! Take it easy,

Jason

Old 08-14-2013, 02:31 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To jcpix: spoons

hey jason!

so funny, i put this photo up on my facebook page (kristin's camera) and a friend from argentina immediately posted a link to the soundgarden song

and yes ... what the heck is it with me and feet? i was trying so hard to capture the movement with her hands, then just as i'm posting it, i noticed i'd missed part of her foot ... *sigh* yet another amputee shot, my new trademark

thanks for your great, positive feedback, i appreciate it!

all best ~
kristin
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM
TE Expert

Default New career path

Hey Kristin,

I know it's nothing to make fun of, but considering your comment I can't help but laugh...you could really narrow down your photography to a specific genre never before realized....amputee imagery!? Even has a nice ring to it, yeah?

Had there not been a few mentions before, I would have most likely never caught on to that....and that's one of the reasons I shy away from "people pictures." Much like yourself, I tend to focus in too much on other things and will completely miss a limb....but I'm still miles ahead of my mom, who even with digital live preview can somehow manage a headless shot!? lol Love ya' mom! (She's much better these days.)

So glad you can take it in stride and not be offended. In fact, much in the same way I said to Russ...for me personally, I try to look more at content and what the photographer is trying to express rather than the technical details. Sure, we'd all like to have 10 fingers and 10 toes, but it's the moment captured that really defines the image....and you have a great way of conveying that!

Hope you're having a good week. Take care.

Jason
Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 AM
TE Senior Member

Default missing...

lol, thanks jason

yes, i'm not overly worried about the limbs, it's usually something else i'm after, and i want to be as close as possible. if feet get sacrificed, oh well

i am so with you on what the photographer is trying to express or capture, rather than the technical details -- he often asks me technical questions that, to be honest, never occur to me. i shoot very impulsively. i can't say there is a lot of thought or strategy or planning that goes into it. i see something, i like it, i try to grab it as quickly as possible.

thanks for your positive feedback, it's always appreciated

happy rest of the week to you, jason!
kristin
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM
TE Expert

Default Details

Hi Kristin,

As I'm learning more and more, shooting manually over the course of the last 8 or so years, I am enjoying picking up on the technical details of the camera and how it operates.

On the flip side though, I'd still much prefer your notion and shoot instinctively. Whenever I'm fortunate to travel, I do like to plan out certain things to photograph, but if I see something I like, I take it....plain and simple. There's nothing really that can be learned from a manual or course when it comes to intuition, and certainly not to personal likes or dislikes.

Besides, it's all subjective and it needs to only be fun and interesting for yourself! I do love this site though, it's a fantastic way to have my work viewed through different eyes...I'm always fascinated by the different perspectives and analysis. Plus, it's been a great way to meet new people that share the same interests!

Enjoy the evening. take it easy,

Jason