Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2021-11-04 7:48

Hello Bev,
Autumn seems to be a lot later in northern England than in south-central Sweden, but the trees in the distance are developing very nice colours. But what really strikes me are the carefully "manicured" (I can't think of the proper word) bushes and hedges in the foreground. They look like they belong to a Palace garden. Is this area private property, belonging to someone with a lot of money or time to spare, or is it common ground tended by a gardener paid by the village community? It looks very impressive in any case. The photo is neatly framed by more or less natural features.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 11-04-2021, 03:09 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Manicured Bushes

Thank you, Gert, 'manicured is a very good descriptive word for what you are seeing.

This is a view of a private garden belonging to an ordinary house. The owner is obviously very keen on gardening and keeping everything neat.
'Topiary' could be used because it is the art or practice of clipping shrubs or trees into ornamental shapes, but usually it is applied to bushes which have been shaped into a feature or an animal.

Cheers, Bev :-)