Fotos

Photographer's Note

This is the Church with many different names: It is named The Virgin Mary cathedral, or Stroganov Church or Church of Christmas of the Virgin Mary.
The birthday of Mary is not celebrated in western countries, but it is very usual in orthodox Russian church. This last name came because there was a small church near with this same name and this church gave the name to the whole street and people begun to name the new church as the oldest one.
This church was built between 1696-1719 by the super rich Stroganov family and closed by Peter, the Great in 1722 and reopened two years after his death. During the Soviet regime it was almost demolished and a brave priest convinced those idiots about its importance.Anyway it was kept as atheist museum and became church again in 1993. Few time ago Putin gave a special icon to the church and it was stolen.
--- It is told Peter, the Great, was celebrating his 50th anniversary and in the previous night he decided to pray all night long inside this church, while there something occurred. A legend says he saw the same icons he had contracted to adorn his catedral in S. Petersburg and became furious, another legend says he recognized the face of the chief of Stroganov family in an icon of God and became furious, because he hated the richest Russian family.
The church is very beautiful with a big tower at side, the domes are so colorful and remind me chocolate pellets. It is located in front the mouth of Oka river in the Volga.
This style of architecture is named Baroque Stroganov because was created by this family, the same who created the beef-stroganoff.

..............

Essa igreja tem vários nomes: Catedral da Virgem Maria, Igreja dos Stroganov ou Igreja do Natal da Virgem Maria.
-- O nascimento de Maria não é celebrado no ocidente, mas na igreja ortodoxa russa é algo comum de se encontrar. Além disso, esse último nome da igreja veio por acaso,nessa rua havia antes uma igrejinha com o nome do Natal de Maria e ela deu nome a rua inteira e quando foi demolida as pessoas passaram a dar seu nome para a igreja nova.
Essa igreja foi erguida entre 1696 e 1719 pela super-rica família Stroganov, mas foi fechada logo em 1722 por ordens de Pedro, o Grande e reaberta apenas dois anos depois que ele morreu. Durante o regime soviético a igreja quase foi demolida e um corajoso padre convenceu os idiotas que a igreja era importantíssima. Depois ela virou museu do ateísmo e só voltou a ser igreja em 1993. Putin deu um ícone para a igreja e ele foi roubado recentemente.
--- Pedro, o Grande estava celebrando seus 50 anos de idade e decidiu passar a noite inteira da véspera trancado nessa igreja rezando. Não se sabe bem a razão, ele saiu de lá e mandou fechar a igreja, uma lenda diz que ele viu os mesmos ícones que ele havia contratado para enfeitar a sua catedral em São Petersburgo e ficou enraivecido, outra lenda diz que ele notou que a face de um ícone que representava Deus era a mesma da cara do chefe da riquíssima família Stroganov, alguém que ele detestava.
A igreja é belíssima, tem uma grande torre ao lado e fica diante da boca do rio Oka no Volga.
Esse estilo de arquitetura é chamado de barroco Stroganov porque foi criado por essa família, a mesma que criou o estrogonofe.

holmertz, pierrefonds, jhm, lucasgalodoido, PaulVDV, adramad, Fis2, sacimar, papagolf21, mcmtanyel ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 34
Discussions
Additional Photos by Jorge Dias (jmdias) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 11932 W: 174 N: 23454] (101488)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH