Fotos

Photographer's Note

This is historical Coat of arms of the Syrmia County on the building in Vukovar where is the official seat of the Vukovar-Syrmia County (Vukovarsko-Srijemska županija) today.
Syrmia County or Srijemska županija in Croatian was a historic administrative subdivision (županija) of the Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia. Croatia-Slavonia was an autonomous kingdom within the Lands of the Crown of Saint Stephen (Transleithania), the Hungarian part of Austria-Hungary. The region of Syrmia is today split between Croatia and Serbia. The capital of the county was Vukovar.
Syrmia County shared borders with other Croatian-Slavonian counties of Požega and Virovitica, the Austro-Hungarian land of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Kingdom of Serbia, and the Hungarian counties of Bács-Bodrog and Torontál. The County stretched along the right (southern) bank of the river Danube and the left (northern) bank of the river Sava, down to their confluence. Its area was 6,866 km² around 1910. By the 13th century, two counties were formed in this region: Syrmia (in the east) and Vukovar (in the west). Syrmia County was an administrative division of the Kingdom of Hungary in the Middle Ages. This area was taken by the Ottoman Empire in 1521 and the two counties were abolished. The territory was then (in 1544) included into Ottoman Sanjak of Syrmia. The Habsburg Monarchy took one part of Syrmia from the Ottomans in 1688, while the other part was taken by Habsburgs in 1718. The entire region was incorporated into the Military Frontier, which was then extended from Western Slavonia, where it stood in 1683, all the way to Transylvania.Syrmia County was re-established in 1745. The county was included into the Kingdom of Slavonia, a Habsburg province, which was part of both, the Habsburg Kingdom of Croatia, and the Habsburg Kingdom of Hungary. The Kingdom of Slavonia was mainly inhabited by Serbs and Croats.
In 1848 and 1849, the area of the county was part of the Serbian Voivodship, a Serbian autonomous region proclaimed at the May Assembly in Karlovci. Between 1849 and 1860 the area was part of the Voivodeship of Serbia and Banat of Temeschwar, a separate crown land of the Austrian Empire. During this time the county did not existed since voivodeship was divided into districts.
After 1860, Syrmia County was established again, and was incorporated into the Kingdom of Slavonia, which was a completely separate Habsburg province at the time. In 1867, as a consequence of the Ausgleich between the Austrians and the Hungarians, Kingdom of Slavonia was incorporated into Transleithania, the half of Austria-Hungary run from Budapest, and in the Hungarian-Croatian Settlement of 1868, it was incorporated into Croatia-Slavonia, a formally separate kingdom within the Kingdom of Hungary, which had a certain level of autonomy and was ruled by its own ban.
After World War I, the area of Syrmia County became part of the newly formed Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes in 1918 and this was confirmed by the Treaty of Saint-Germain in September 1919. The County of Syrmia was an official administrative division of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes between 1918 and 1922, and then was transformed into the Province (Oblast) of Syrmia (de facto it was carried out in 1924).
The towns of Vukovar, Ilok, Vinkovci, and Županja are currently in Croatia, in Vukovar-Syrmia county. The towns of Šid, Ruma, Irig, Mitrovica (Sremska Mitrovica), Stara Pazova, Sremski Karlovci and Petrovaradin are currently in Serbia (Vojvodina province). Zemun is currently in Serbian region of Belgrade.

pajaran ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Nikola Nadas (NickVu) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 11 W: 0 N: 394] (307)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2018-07-12
  • Versión de la foto: Versión original
  • Date Submitted: 2021-09-10 1:30
Viewed: 0
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Nikola Nadas (NickVu) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 11 W: 0 N: 394] (307)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH