Photographer's Note

The construction of the tower Saint Nicolas (the tower more has left) was begun in 1372 and was finished in 1376. Since 1628, following the seat of the city by Richelieu, this massive tower became a prison.Sa construction dates from the English occupation to the Small rock during the One hundred Year old war: the tower was built after the explulsion of the English by Chaudrier, the mayor. The architect in charge of the restoration of the turns at the XIXème century noted a beginning of architectural arch (still visible today) on the western frontage of the tower. He concluded from it that an arch connected the tower Saint Nicolas to the tower of the Chain. This arch, probably notched, made it possible to the men-at-arms to make rounds, while letting pass the boats the tower of the Chain (the tower more has right) sheltered the mechanism of lifting of the chain barring the access to the harbour. This tower was built during annnées 1380-1390. The architect having directed work of restoration of the turns was brought to think that a warhead réunisait the tower of the chain to the tower Saint Nicolas. Moreover, between these two turns, also drew up a small tower which was destroyed at the beginning of the XIXème century. Before the construction of the two turns in XIVème century, the port was kept by less important works.

Wirraway, mortijo, alainh, Clochette, DAM, singuanti, jp80, Jason_teale ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 14774
Points: 44
Additional Photos by thierry stinflin (tityop) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1014 W: 57 N: 746] (6225)
View More Pictures