Fotos

Photographer's Note

Another shot from the "Rhine castles in B&W" series, this time it is Sooneck castle just to the south of Bacharach, on the left bank on the Rhine. I am very fond of old photographs and tried to make this one look as much as an old print as possible... :)

Some history of the castle, adapted from here:

Sooneck Castle got its name from the nearby Soon Forest. Together with Rheinstein Castle it was considered to be the outer works of the main castle Reichenstein. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Knights of Bolanden had been the landvogts of the abbey. From 1241 the Knights of Hohenfels took over this function and therefore also Sooneck Castle. The latter knights became known in history as "robber barons" because after a short period of time they started to collect unlawful customs. The Confederation of the Rhine became very angry about that and occupied Sooneck and Reichenstein castles to stop their activities. In 1282 Sooneck Castle was destroyed after a successful occupation. Its rebuilding was forbidden by Rudolf of Habsburg. In 1290, electoral Palatinate bought the protectorate of the abbey Cornelimunster. Shortly afterwards the archbishop of Mainz became the owner of the protectorate. In 1349, Emperor Karl IV repealed the ban on rebuilding Sooneck Castle, so that the castle could have been rebuilt again in the middle of the 14th century. The keep and the corner towers are an example of this construction time.

During the Palatinate War of Succession, Sooneck Castle was destroyed by the French troops in 1688/89. The ruin of the castle remained well preserved for centuries, so that King Frederick William IV of Prussia was able to rebuild the castle again. On September 18th, 1842 King Frederick William IV decided to remodel the castle into a hunting lodge. In 1843 the remodeling started. At this time the magnificent view to the Rhine River had been the centre of the reconstruction. While remodeling the castle, the ruins had been integrated into the new buildings as well as possible. After several building stops the remodeling of Sooneck Castle was finished in 1861. King Frederick William IV had never used the castle as a hunting lodge.

Since 1918 Sooneck Castle belongs to the government. Today the castle presents itself as a romantic building that is embedded in rose terraces. The rose gardens had been laid out on the former bastions of the 17th century.

humayun, qpochet, Silke, sabyasachi1212, brevbrev14, Yffic ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3011
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Alexander Pasternak (pasternak) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1341 W: 179 N: 3373] (15185)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH